Changed Oil at 3K, should I do another before Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All -

I recently changed the oil in my new BMW X5 4.4 at 3K miles. Factory recommendaion is 5W30. I didn't do a UOA on it then as I figuered I wouldn't be getting an accurate UOA on the first oil in the car. Oil I changed out in the car was Redline 5W30. Thinking about using the same for the next change or possibly amsoil or gc.

It's almost at 6K now, and before I know it, it will be winter out here in NYC.What do ya'll suggest. Wait it out until the car hit's 8K and then change the oil out and do a UOA. Or change the oil in the car before the winter and get a UOA.

Ugh, why would you void your warranty with Redline? Unless you do a lot of specialized racing, Redline is NOT the oil of choice. Get it out, not for extended drains. Why did you change factory fill at 3k anyway? Isn't the BMW interval 15,000 miles? Your engine will not break-in properly with fresh oil that has tons of FM and EP, bad move. Your rings have to seat while there is cross-hatching still in the cylinder bore. Honestly, at this point, I'd put in a DINO oil and drive it hard, low revs and deep throttle, seat those rings. I guess you *could* just change to a BMW or ACEA A3 approved oil like, M1 0w-40 (not my fav) GC or regular ACEA A3 Syntec 10w-40 or 5w-30. Redline is for cars like nitrous V-tec Civics. Timing-wise, my opinion is 6 month intervals are best, up to 8,000 miles each. Fresh oil for the cold of winter and heat of the summer means changing in Nov and May, forget about miles.

[ October 14, 2003, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: TSoA ]

I would think 3k is more than enough time for that engine to be broken in, I doubt he hurt anything by doing that.

[ October 14, 2003, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Patman, many manufacturers explicitly recommend against changing before specified in the manual, probally BMW too.
Most of his peers are going 7500 or 15000 before 1st change. My last break-in I went 7500 miles. 3000 might be ok with a dino replacment, but all the FM and EP plus moly in Redline...not the best choice, imo.

What about his former warranty? If he handed some RL to the BMW service guy he would either hand it back or make an electronic note in his service records.
dunno.gif
Oh, well. Always use approved oil, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back