Changed my PSF on honda

I changed my Honda odyssey power steering fluid a couple hours ago with Prestone asian PSF.

Seems like its doing well, my steering is somewhat freed up.

Why is the OEM red and prestone clear?

Maybe the Honda power steering fluid is dyed red.

The Dexron VI I have used in my Nissan Altima is dyed red.

My car specs Dexron VI for the power steering fluid.

I'm thinking and hoping that the Prestone steering fluid you got is correct for the Odyssey.

If the specd Honda steering fluid is Dexron VI then it being dyed red is typical.

Nothing wrong with clear fluid if it is the correct fluid for that application.

Redline also makes a PSF that is apparently a suitable replacement. Like mentioned above, OEM is definitely amber in color.

^^^Correct!
OP, was the PS fluid changed once before in your Odyssey?
Not that I know of, It belonged to a family member, it must of had been.

Would there be any damage if somebody used ATF in it?!?!

whoever changed it probably did a while ago, otherwise regular psf probably wouldn't go 100,000 miles, would it?

Not that I know of, It belonged to a family member, it must of had been.

Would there be any damage if somebody used ATF in it?!?!

whoever changed it probably did a while ago, otherwise regular psf probably wouldn't go 100,000 miles, would it?
Every forum screams that using anything other than Honda Genuine powersteering fluid will grenade the Honda powersteering pump or it will shred itself to pieces from the inside. Using ATF in a Honda powersteering seems to be an equivalent of using buttermilk in your coffee instead of creamer/milk. Per the internet that is. But the truth is many have used ATF and system seems to last 30k-50k less miles on average. As in it may last 150k instead of 200k. And usually the reason for replacement isn't the failure of the pump itself, but severe leaks. I made sure to use a fluid that specifically claims to work in Hondas, no regrets yet, only benefits so far.

Every forum screams that using anything other than Honda Genuine powersteering fluid will grenade the Honda powersteering pump or it will shred itself to pieces from the inside. Using ATF in a Honda powersteering seems to be an equivalent of using buttermilk in your coffee instead of creamer/milk. Per the internet that is. But the truth is many have used ATF and system seems to last 30k-50k less miles on average. As in it may last 150k instead of 200k. And usually the reason for replacement isn't the failure of the pump itself, but severe leaks. I made sure to use a fluid that specifically claims to work in Hondas, no regrets yet, only benefits so far.
Oh yeah, that's what I'm worried about, severe leaks forming from seals being incompatible. At least I flushed and changed it.

I've used (PRESTONE non-Honda/Acura) fluid years ago and I lost my steering return and the steering was sticky. I flushed and replaced with Honda type PS(BARDAHL Honda/Acura PS fluid) from Walmart and everything went back to normal. This was before PRESTONE introduced other types of PS fluids such as "ASIAN".

I have since used just about any aftermarket PS fluid labeled for HONDA/ACURA with good, Hmmm, decent success.
However, HONDA Genuine is the best because it seems to handle the sub zero temps even better than the aftermarket brands. You know, those mornings that it's below ZERO or colder here in the north east, PNW or Canada?

I've even had experience with the aftermarket Honda/Acura PS fluids acting up even in +5 F mornings(although momentarily), whereas the HONDA Genuine never flinched.

I've even been using the HONDA/ACURA type(non-Honda Genuine) of PS fluid in the Firebird(in my sig) PS unit for over 25 yrs. Love it!

I have used Honda fluid, O'Reilly Honda equivalent and Triax Synthetic Honda equivalent in Hondas and Acuras with good success.

On my 97 civic I have maxlife ATF in the power steering reservoir. No issues and it's been in there for at least 10 years and I'm the original owner.

If the previous owner ever had the serpentine belt and tensioner and the timing belt serviced, they'd had to have taken the power steering reservoir out of the way to access those, so perhaps whichever shops did those services put DEX3 back in, instead of Honda PSF.

Back