Changed fluid on 68rfe and it shifts much better.

It used to slip and go into limp mode on the 3-4 shift now it doesn't seem to slip and i don't have to baby it to keep it out of limp mode. I'm still getting an occassional hiccup on the 3-4 shift, but it hasn't gone into limp mode yet. 180,000 miles. I can't believe it made a difference. I didn't even change the filters because I couldn't get the pan off. I just drained it from the drain plug I added when I last changed it at 60k. I'm no longer following the long fluid change intervals they recommend in the manuals now.

I haven't gotten on it hard yet, but it's MUCH better than before. Before it had the acceleration of a loaded 18 wheeler to keep it out of limp mode until it got into 5th and 6th gear.

What do yall think? I had a friend say Chrysler trannies are very picky about fluid type and condition. I guess he's right.

i have a friend who changed the fluid with plus 4 then after a while drained it out as a partial flush and refilled with atf type f in his old ram 1500 and made it shift almost like new since its known to be a more "grabby" fluid.

The lucas trans slip additive is the same but more aggressive so i don't know if id use that on a trans with minimal symptoms.

Good to hear that it has helped you. May next time it would be a good time to add a larger capacity Mag-Hytec pan while you're under there.

It used to slip and go into limp mode on the 3-4 shift now it doesn't seem to slip and i don't have to baby it to keep it out of limp mode. I'm still getting an occassional hiccup on the 3-4 shift, but it hasn't gone into limp mode yet. 180,000 miles. I can't believe it made a difference. I didn't even change the filters because I couldn't get the pan off. I just drained it from the drain plug I added when I last changed it at 60k. I'm no longer following the long fluid change intervals they recommend in the manuals now.
Lubegard trans protect always improved shift solenoid issues for me.
Especially when the issues were with specific gear changes.

Back