Changed cabin filter on '16 VW Golf today.

VW's 2 year interval is a bit overboard. It's been ~1.75 years and since I was putting my new stickers on my plate and already had the new filter I figured why not. Drop the glove box and pop the filter out (its stupid easy on the 7th generation Golf) and it still looks like new until you peer into the pleats - below photos are 1 year and 8 months in. Mind you I don't park under trees no matter what (had a cockroach and spider problem in an old Jetta due to parking under a very old Oak tree) and at work I park in a mostly enclosed garage. This new filter I might run for 3-4 years - this replacement pissed my $$ down the drain.

Bottom filter is old - top is new. Don't park under trees is the key here - If your wipers and cowl are full of tree debris after parking overnight your cabin filter is going to look like trash in quick order and it will clog every body drain on your car.

IMG_5746.JPG

There was dust/pollen/etc coming out of the elements as I peeled them apart.

IMG_5748.JPG

This was about all that was built up in the pleats after 1.75 years.

IMG_5749.JPG

On my 2012 Golf, the AC is rather weak IMO. (The all black interior I'm sure doesn't help.) The charcoal activated filter really restricts air flow. Last CAF I put in was a least expensive Denso which may not filter as well, but you can sure notice how much more cold air is coming out of the vents.

On my 2012 Golf, the AC is rather weak IMO. (The all black interior I'm sure doesn't help.) The charcoal activated filter really restricts air flow. Last CAF I put in was a least expensive Denso which may not filter as well, but you can sure notice how much more cold air is coming out of the vents.
The VW "genuine" replacement I just put in was a Denso which was kind of surprising to me - guess they are branching out now from Mahle/Mann. It was on sale on FCP Euro for pretty much same price as the OEM equivalents - the plastic wrapper had VW/Audi print on it but the filter itself is stamped all Denso with no VW/Audi logo on it so not sure what the deal is. Very high quality filter and looked/felt just like the genuine VW part that I was replacing.

I'd suggest using the latest VW 5Q0819669 or Mann FP 26-009 Frecious Plus
which VW started using in late 2016/early 2017 (all Mk7.5 w/ Climatronic*).
It isn't even that much more money. We've discussed the advantages several
times before on this forum.

*I believe same hardware as before except for the filter element but revised software.

Back