CHANGE YOUR OIL!

I feel bad for that motor, every car deserves to be taken care of because something as simple as changing your oil and filter every 3000 (conventional oil), 4000, or 5000 miles (synthetic blends or full synthetic oils) will make an engine go a long way. I keep mine at 3750 mi./6 month OCIs per severe conditions maintenance schedule in my owner's manual, 0 oil consumption, 0 problems, VTEC all day, yo.

One of my first jobs was changing tires at a Goodyear back in the late 80's. We had a contractor van come in for an oil change.

I put it in the air and removed the drain plug, had a quick dribble, then a few globs then a very slow drip.

Took a screwdriver to break the sludge up and it drained slowly, mind you this was with a hot motor.

Owner said it's the first oil change, IIRC it had about 60K on it, he kept topping it off.

Shop foreman took over and I think we ran some trans fluid for a short while....don't remember.

There’s a Subaru owner of a 2015 Crosstrek who changes his oil and filter about every 12,000 miles with Mobil 1 EP 0W20, and the original engine lasted 634,000 miles. The car now has 970,000 miles on it.

Yep synth 5k OCI for me with OEM filter.
This is not a "one pill" prescription. I had been changing oil at 5>6 K with no perceived benefit, then I extended 10 9>10K miles with
multiple UOA veriification on the Subaru. Now I have LOWER reported wear per mile and no economy or varnish degredation.

If you commute a long distance on the interstate or highway and travel many miles a year you should be able to do 10K OCI on most vehicles.

This action multiplied by tens of millions of cars = a real environmental impact with NO DOWNSIDE.

There’s a Subaru owner of a 2015 Crosstrek who changes his oil and filter about every 12,000 miles with Mobil 1 EP 0W20, and the original engine lasted 634,000 miles. The car now has 970,000 miles on it.
almost a 1/4 million miles a year? So changing oil every 3-4 weeks or so. I want to know where that car was going all the time !

This is a data point I would throw out. But have a detailed footnote for special study interests.

What does he do for a living that he puts on 500 mi a day?

Back