change weight

have M1 0/40 for the MB can I use it in ford fusion 2.3 with 108 thousand miles, that calls for 5/20

Agreed, use with confidence. I tend to keep the heavier oils (40 & 50 weights) for the hot summer months, but running it in winter isn't going to really harm anything, it'll just be thicker at cold start temperatures (not ideal in winter) than the 5w-20 you've been using.

have M1 0/40 for the MB can I use it in ford fusion 2.3 with 108 thousand miles, that calls for 5/20
I believe at one point those Mazda 2.3L engines were spec'd for 5w30, then later back spec'd to 5w-20 probably to get the fuel economy numbers up just that hair higher, Mobil1 0w40 is pretty starts as a very light 40 and shears back to a thick 30 for most of the OCI, go right ahead and use it.

Maybe I'm mixing the 2.3L up with the 3L duratec, but either way, i'm sure there's plenty of people here who've used 5w30 in it, and many people keep M1 0W40 around as their one size fits all oil for everything calling for Xw20 or Xw30 and their Eurocars.

I'm using mostly 40 weight in the same engine in my Mazda. Year round, in Canada. Current fill John Deer 0W40, previous was M1 TDT 5W40.
Less noisy, didn't notice much difference vs 20 grade apart from that.

In Europe these cars were specd 5W40/10W40, not sure there are physical differences apart from engine programming.

Agreed, use with confidence. I tend to keep the heavier oils (40 & 50 weights) for the hot summer months, but running it in winter isn't going to really harm anything, it'll just be thicker at cold start temperatures (not ideal in winter) than the 5w-20 you've been using.
A 0w40 will be thicker than a 5w20 at winter temps?

Wat.jpeg

Back