Change unused oil? (2years standing still in garage)

Hi,

A question i ask for a friend of mine. During a back injury, he could not race for 2 years.

His Yamaha R6 was dry stored in a garage, little bit cold ( 5 celcius in two winters ) , and little bit moisture in the air.

The question is, we pulled in new Motul 300v and KN oil filter. It has only run 1 day on race track this 2 years ago, after that it was stored for the mentioned 2 years.

Should you guys change the almost unused oil because of standing still ?

Thanks alot for helping us.

No it should be fine. Oil doesn't go bad from sitting.
So no worries about the moisture content in the cold garage? Here in Belgium, it can be very wet during winter, spring and autumn. Thats my main concern.

On the other hand, if ther is still 2 year old fuel/petrol in the tank you may want to get rid of the old and put in fresh fuel.

On the other hand, if ther is still 2 year old fuel/petrol in the tank you may want to get rid of the old and put in fresh fuel.
Yes, we made the tank empty, cleaned the pump and put in new petrol. Keep in mind, that this yamaha R6 will be only used for racing at max 16000rpm ( Yec computer ) . So thats why i ask this :)

Another vote for changing at least the oil. A quick spill-n-fill would remove all doubt if there is any question. Sounds like cheap insurance to me.

I personally would change it.
If this was sealed in containers I would feel differently but 2 years sitting in an “open” container (the engine) and being already contaminated with fuel (ran a short time in the engine)would bother me enough to change it.
I wouldn’t fault your choice if you didn’t change it, it’s just something I would do.

Such a divided bunch. I wish we had a clear answer for the OP. In my opinion, there is a reason why nearly all manufacturers include a time factor in oil service intervals, such as "5000 miles or 1 year." I say change the oil but run the filter. I normally run my moto filters 3-4 service intervals without issue and I'm sure the one ride on that filter makes it still new.

from your description, the engine internal should have had zero moisture when you stored it; it is unlikely for condesation to creep in by itself to oxidise the oil specially if you pluged the air intake & exhaust specially if you did not run the engine during this period to warm it up.
Fuel tank in another matter which you have dealt with already.

I would not change the oil/ filter if it were me

Such a divided bunch. I wish we had a clear answer for the OP. In my opinion, there is a reason why nearly all manufacturers include a time factor in oil service intervals, such as "5000 miles or 1 year." I say change the oil but run the filter. I normally run my moto filters 3-4 service intervals without issue and I'm sure the one ride on that filter makes it still new.
Yes but that's because the manufacturer does not know the specific operating conditions during that year. A lot of short-tripping in cold weather is far different than just having the engine sit and not go anywhere. Unless it is operating and not producing combustion byproducts that end up in the oil then the oil will not degrade. There is nothing to cause degradation.

Only thing I'd really be concerned about is what kind of fuel was run. Some race fuels are very corrosive and if that's what was used, and there's some fuel dilution.....
If pump gas, no worries.

Back