Change to Synthetic in a 1995 C2500 at 80,000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '95 Chevy Silverado pickup, C2500, with the 5.7L V-8 and auto tranny. It's ran it's entire life on dino, currently Pennzoil 10w30 (OEM-recommended weight). It gets 5K - 10K miles per year usage; it now has 80K on the odometer. Is it a good idea to change to synthetic, or should I continue with the 3K/6mo. changes with dino?

Its really of whether you want to go the synthetic route or not. The vehicle makes very little difference. There is very little proof to suggest that going with synthetics will allow your vehicle to go further. Synthetics (true synthetics) will allow you to extend drain intervals. You could probably go a year with a filter change in between without a change. The synthetic will give superior cold weather performance and an extra measure of safety under conditions where you for instance loose your coolant system.

Its really a matter of preference. There is no one right answer here. (IMHO)
smile.gif

[ May 01, 2003, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

I think doing 2 or 3 oil changes per year for alot of people is a good idea ,so all the fluids will be checked ,tires aired belts and hoses and lights, include a brake and front end inspection every year or two ,but as an bitog person we can do it what ever we think is the best for our situation...

Well, my dad's in the same situation with his Accord. As Al says, it's really only a matter of preference. For my dad, he was able to go from 2 to 3 changes a year with dino to only 1 a year (no mid-interval filter swap) with Mobil 1. He picked his favorite month of the year (something typically nice & warm & sunny) & decided that was his new oil change schedule. He saved himself a little money & a lot of hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back