Change the oil filter every other oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Anyone following this kind of pattern? Say, oil every 5k miles and filter every 10k miles?

Oil and filter every 10K.

I like Fram ultra while I normally go 7k miles on a change I'm nervous about putting 14k miles on a filter without knowing them very well which is funny since I feel 12k is safe. Never busted one open to look at them.

Changing the filter only every second change was the common service specification up through the early 1980s.

That changed because oil rapidly became better, thanks to the SAE specifications, and the recommended oil change interval was doubled. It also became much more common for shops to offer fixed-price oil and filter change deals, so many consumers were replacing the filter every change anyway.

My past weekend oil changes were at 15K miles on one car, just as the service interval indicator turned yellow, and two years on another because, well, two years.

Anyone following this kind of pattern? Say, oil every 5k miles and filter every 10k miles?

I heard the quick lube places do a variant on this:

3k miles for oil, filter optional.

I'm strongly considering using the same filter twice in the Firebird based on the oil change schedule I plan on following with it being a summer car. I'd only do this with a higher quality filter like a Mobil 1 or Fram Ultra, though.

I am planning 7500 mile OCIs with 15k Filter change.
Oversized Fram Ultra should easily have the construction and capacity to do it.

Does it really matter if anyone else is following this pattern? What is the real question? Is it "can I save four bucks by changing $40 worth of synthetic at 10,000 miles and holding off on changing the filter until 20,000 miles, even if this is not recommended by any modern car maker???"

And, thinking this through, is there anyone who wants to mix old oil with new and thinks that it is a good thing? And what if that oil filter is already in the process of collapsing?

My opinion is that this idea is a false economy and a risky proposition with an upside of $4 t0 $8 amortized over, say, a year and a half.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung

Does it really matter if anyone else is following this pattern? What is the real question? Is it "can I save four bucks by changing $40 worth of synthetic at 10,000 miles and holding off on changing the filter until 20,000 miles, even if this is not recommended by any modern car maker???"

And, thinking this through, is there anyone who wants to mix old oil with new and thinks that it is a good thing? And what if that oil filter is already in the process of collapsing?

My opinion is that this idea is a false economy and a risky proposition with an upside of $4 t0 $8 amortized over, say, a year and a half.

Uh... lots of manufacturers recommend changing the oil filter every other change. In the 2001 Honda Civic manual, it states to change the oil every 10,000 miles and the filter every 20,000 miles. And this was with conventional oil.

No one's talking about running a filter 20k, but running your filter that is rated 15,000 miles for the rated 15,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

Uh... lots of manufacturers recommend changing the oil filter every other change. In the 2001 Honda Civic manual, it states to change the oil every 10,000 miles and the filter every 20,000 miles. And this was with conventional oil.

Yup - my daughters 2000 Galant manual 2.4L recommends "normal" OCIs at 7.5k and the FCI at 2x that (15k miles), all on normal oils and filters.

The decision factor is how much more trouble is it to do the filter for you. If you luckily have a car where you can do a topside oil change and the filter would double your time and effort then not changing it according to the manual might make sense. But if the filter change only adds on 10% extra time then just change it.

And it's possible that the filter filters better as it ages.

Good observation......A filter needs 3K to 4K to filter at its best....so changing your filter to early and every 3K to 5K is not the best for your vehicles engine..

[/quote]

Uh... lots of manufacturers recommend changing the oil filter every other change. In the 2001 Honda Civic manual, it states to change the oil every 10,000 miles and the filter every 20,000 miles. And this was with conventional oil. [/quote]

Well, Honda is the only one I have knowledge of using the 2 / 1, oil / filter formula.

The Amsoil EaO11 on the CVLX is on its third go round. The first two changes were 6500mi and this one might be slightly longer; around 7500. That would put it over 20k. That should happen in the next month or two, after which I will cut it open for everyone perusal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back