Change the gear oil or leave it alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1987 Toyota Pickup truck with 260,000 miles on it. The differential gear oil has never been changed, just topped off, over the years. Should I change the gear oil, or just leave it alone?

Ive seen changes like this on 200k+ MB diffs. No big deal. M1 gear oil will do some good cleaning, which Ive seen.

Id do two changes within 1-5k miles or so...

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

I would change it out... Might reveal some existing problems though...

Originally Posted By: Ronny
I have a 1987 Toyota Pickup truck with 260,000 miles on it. The differential gear oil has never been changed, just topped off, over the years. Should I change the gear oil, or just leave it alone?

LOL, doubt you will find many here who say not to change it.....unless someone like my Dad posts here, with a "leave it alone if it ain't broke" life-view....only fluid he ever changes is motor oil, and funny thing is he never has ANY vehicle problems.....

of course, he drives conservatively, and trades in every 100K miles or so, but sometimes that's over 10 years!!!!

Perfect candidate for UOA ,or clear glass bottle in the sun pictures for us to stare at.

Does the engine have enough power to stress the 'ends???

I'd change it with the cheapest 80w90 GL5 you can find. Give it a few thousand miles and repeat with whatever 'upgrade' fluid you want to use.

I may be the only one here with this opinion, but I wouldn't bother changing it twice, unless its really nasty in there. But definitely change it once. ALL cars/trucks should have their diff oil changed after breakin - it can make a huge difference just to get the wear metals out of there - although some diffs do have magnets.

Change it, then change it again after a short oci (maybe a few thousand miles or so).

Ok, I have decided to change it. What I plan on doing is putting in a cheap 80w-90 through a regular drain and fill, then after a 1,000 miles or so put in something good like Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90. I also plan on removing the cover plate and getting as much goop out as I can and cleaning any magnets that may be in there, and might add a couple of my own.

Well I changed it today. It actually didnt look as bad as what I thought it would. It just looked like dark brown used oil, but not black. It drained quicker than I thought it would too. There was a magnet on the drain plug and it had some metal fuzz stuff on it, maybe 1/2 teaspoon worth of stuff, but still, not bad at all.

I would just change it once. I too fail to see the point of changing it twice or using autorx on a hypoid gear set. Seems like a waste to me.

Originally Posted By: KilgoreBass

of course, he drives conservatively, and trades in every 100K miles or so, but sometimes that's over 10 years!!!!

HA! See my sig file if you think 10 years is long.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back