Change PS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1998 S10 and I was wondering how often you should change PS fluid its making a whining noise but the resov. is full I figured the fluid is old and worn out with 93K miles

This is the easiest maintenance item on a car - go to wallyworld and get a $2 turkey baster and a couple of quarts of PS fluid for 2-3 bucks each. Drain the fluid out of the resivor and refill then drive as normal. Next day do the same thing - within a few days you will have changed out 95% of the fluid with almost no effort and no mess, all for under $10!!!!

you can get a winshield washer pump at auto zone hook it up to the battery and stick the out hose in an old oil bottle and the other side in the p.s. refill and repeat after a short drive do that 4 times and thats all you have to do..

hmm, windshield washer pump, great idea!!
I use the harbor freight hand pump oil thinggy, t hey stopped selling it though

I use a Mityvac and do multiple rounds until the fluid sucks out clean and clear. However, I doubt that fresh fluid is going to fix your noisy PS pump. Probably time to replace the pump. I generally do one round of suck and fill every other oil change to keep the fluid reasonably refreshed over time.

How are you supposed to normally do this? I've tried the turkey baster technique before I tried something else.

I remember doing it for my 1995 Acura Integra GS-R. I had the factory service manual and followed the specified procedure.

Basically the procedure was to lift the PS reservoir up from the mount, disconnect the PS return hose, and connect it to a hose to deposit it into a container. For a little more security, I taped the return hose to a funnel extension (I didn't have a hose) and the output went into an empty motor oil bottle. I lightly taped the funnel extension to the bottle, but didn't make it completely airtight - so that it had some ventilation.

Then I started the engine, and turned the steering wheel lock to lock several times, until there was no more PS fluid coming out of the return hose. Then I reconnected the return hose, put it back on the mount, filled it up turned it lock to lock again, then repeated until the fluid level in the reservoir was between min and max. It was really strange doing it. When the fluid was being expelled, the PS pump made a hellacious noise and the steering wheel got increasingly harder to turn. I know it sounds like something that shouldn't be done, but I guess the thinking is that there's bound to be enough residual fluid in the system to avoid damage.

Strangely enough, the PS pump was the only thing taken from under the hood when that car was stolen.

I have a 5 gallon bucket with a top on it. I drilled a hole so the end of my shop vac fits snug. I drilled a second hole so a piece of 3/8" vinyl tube fits and sealed that with silicone. Insert a long piece of 1/4" vinyl tube into the 3/8" and turn on shop vac. You now have a vacuum to suck out any fluid you want and it will collect in the bucket and not in the shop vac. That way when I do my oil changes I can replace PS and break fluids with ease.

The turkey baster thing works well. At every oil change I draw out PS fluid from the pump and refill with M1 ATF. Also I do the same with the brake master cylinder and refill with new brake fluid.

Originally Posted By: tig1
The turkey baster thing works well. At every oil change I draw out PS fluid from the pump and refill with M1 ATF. Also I do the same with the brake master cylinder and refill with new brake fluid.
+1
thumbsup2.gif
This is what I do, I don't do the Brake fluid because it's not a circulation system, So I do this flush when I change the brakes.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: tig1
+1
thumbsup2.gif
This is what I do, I don't do the Brake fluid because it's not a circulation system, So I do this flush when I change the brakes.

StevieC,
Even though there is no pump in the brake system to circulate the fluid, the fluid will still work it's way through the system with time. This helps to keep the BF fresh and the seals pliable.

Tig-1 And I would agree with you for most people who do brakes every 3-5 years. I go through brakes every 1.5 years because of the miles I drive so my complete brake system is flushed with fresh fluid at that time.

Your method is good advice.
thumbsup2.gif

On many cars all that needs to be done is to jack up the front wheels, (don't run the engine), disconnect the power steering return hose and redirect into a jug, turn the wheels from side to side and refill the reservoir as needed.

I just sucked out the reservoir, refilled, drove around the block, sucked out, refilled, drove, etc., etc., until I'd use a quart of syn ATF and everything looked clear and clean.

For the whining PS system, try the Lubegard PS fluid or the Lubegard PS additive. It might extend the life of the complaining parts. Plan on installing a new PS pump in the future. Or, try Auto-Rx in the system before you add the Lubegard stuff. That might do more good.

the Lubegard PS additive works well, as does the stuff from ATP power steering conditioner. turns ps fluid into a semi-synthetic.
It helps quiet down the Ford PS Pumps.

Originally Posted By: EricF
the Lubegard PS additive works well, as does the stuff from ATP power steering conditioner. turns ps fluid into a semi-synthetic.

I will have to try this!

I was thinking of getting M-1 syn ATF to see if that would work.

Originally Posted By: SL2

I will have to try this!

It does (the M1).

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: SL2

I will have to try this!

It does (the M1).

X2

The Auto-RX worked nicely in my power steering system. 1999 Buick LeSabre.

Then a bunch of drain/fills with semi-syn Dex/Merc. Going to "upgrade" to Dex-VI when I do the transmission this fall.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
I use the harbor freight hand pump oil thinggy, t hey stopped selling it though

If we're talking about the same one, I bought one from Harbor Freight Tools yesterday. In Charlotte, at least, they still sell them and for only 20 bucks. Gonna use it today to suck the brake fluid out of my 2000 Sierra. Hopes it works as advertised!

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Then I started the engine, and turned the steering wheel lock to lock several times, until there was no more PS fluid coming out of the return hose. Then I reconnected the return hose, put it back on the mount, filled it up turned it lock to lock again, then repeated until the fluid level in the reservoir was between min and max. It was really strange doing it. When the fluid was being expelled, the PS pump made a hellacious noise and the steering wheel got increasingly harder to turn. I know it sounds like something that shouldn't be done, but I guess the thinking is that there's bound to be enough residual fluid in the system to avoid damage.

My method was similar. I used a turkey baster to remove all I could from the PS reservoir, drained both lines, reconnected the outgoing line only and refilled with fresh fluid. I then started the motor and, working quickly, turned the wheels in both directions and promptly shut the engine off. On the newspapers spread out beneath my truck, it had spewed the nasty leftover brown stuff out first and was followed by clean, clear fluid trickling from the end of the line. I felt then that any remaining old fluid had been flushed out of the system. I hooked the return line back up, refilled again, cranked it up, turned the wheels back and forth and adjusted the fluid level. After road testing it, opening up the reservoir and finding perfectly clear fluid in it, I know now, without a doubt, that I got ALL of the crud out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back