Change PS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SierraFan
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Then I started the engine, and turned the steering wheel lock to lock several times, until there was no more PS fluid coming out of the return hose. Then I reconnected the return hose, put it back on the mount, filled it up turned it lock to lock again, then repeated until the fluid level in the reservoir was between min and max. It was really strange doing it. When the fluid was being expelled, the PS pump made a hellacious noise and the steering wheel got increasingly harder to turn. I know it sounds like something that shouldn't be done, but I guess the thinking is that there's bound to be enough residual fluid in the system to avoid damage.

My method was similar. I used a turkey baster to remove all I could from the PS reservoir, drained both lines, reconnected the outgoing line only and refilled with fresh fluid. I then started the motor and, working quickly, turned the wheels in both directions and promptly shut the engine off. On the newspapers spread out beneath my truck, it had spewed the nasty leftover brown stuff out first and was followed by clean, clear fluid trickling from the end of the line. I felt then that any remaining old fluid had been flushed out of the system. I hooked the return line back up, refilled again, cranked it up, turned the wheels back and forth and adjusted the fluid level. After road testing it, opening up the reservoir and finding perfectly clear fluid in it, I know now, without a doubt, that I got ALL of the crud out!

Greetings, and a quick question: when doing it via this method, if the PS fluid bubbling the reservoir when the engine is running? I just peformed this identical procedure. The fluid is clear, didn't appear aerated when it was added-no foaming/bubbles, and there are no bubbles in the reservoir when the engine is off. At idle it's bubbling like crazy. Is that just the pump recirculating the fluid!?

Thanks!!

Not gonna act like an expert and say I know but I'd assume so since I noticed the same thing. It might take a minute or so to remove all the air from the system that was introduced into it while being bled.

With most cars, I have no problem flushing the ps system. The only time I had a problem was with the 01 Mercury Sable. The bubbles took a long time to work their way out until the steering whine went away. I believe Ford has a TSB on this issue requiring that vacuum be applied via a special cap after flushing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back