Change on new trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering
Does anybody do a drain and fill on a new auto trans at an earlier interval? Say 15,000 miles? Then go to the usual 30,000?

Trans in question is the 8 speed auto in our 2019 Santa Fe.

Thanks

I did in my 2017 Elantra. Did a D&F at 10k miles and will do another at 40k.

Originally Posted by nicholas
Just wondering
Does anybody do a drain and fill on a new auto trans at an earlier interval? Say 15,000 miles? Then go to the usual 30,000?

Thanks

Because there is no serviceable filter, the more often you pull the drain plug and refill the better IMO. Worked for me in my 2006 Santa Fe that went 300K miles on the original transmission. I cut a hole in my skid plate so I could get to the transmission plug without having to remove the plate each time.

Last edited:
At least the older models had a really easy drain plug.. So I did drain and fills about every 1.5 years since that is easier and cheaper than trying to "flush"

15K then 30K Sounds like a good Idea. I Did a 30K on my Rogue and I waited too long, IMO

My Subaru dealer wont bite.for the Fuji H.I. CVT - But I got a free 120K mile warranty extension
smile.gif

Last edited:
Like said, if it's simple enough to do drain/fills on and get proper level indication, it can only help the longevity of the unit to get wear materials out of the fluid and refresh the add pack.

I too owned a Hyundai product some years back. A 2008 Santa Fe. It was easier than an engine oil change to drain/fill that 4 speed auto. Hopefully the next owner saw the benefits of my efforts.

Last edited:

Does it even have any type of drain or fill ports?

I do because we keep our vehicles for 200,000 miles+. Spending minor amounts of money on more frequent ATF changes can save a huge amount later on transmission repair/replacement due to infrequent fluid changes. For my wife's 2017 Explorer it's so easy to do a 4 quart drain and fill. I can do it for ~$20 using Mercon LV or Castrol full synthetic that is licensed by Ford. It's easier to do than and oil and filter change. I did the a first drain & fill at 12,000 miles, the factory Mercon LV was totally black and sparkly. 10,000 miles later I did the second D&F and it was really dark grey and after that I did another 10,000 mile D&F and it was dark grey with reddish tint. I'll let the current fill go to ~20,000 miles and see how that Mercon LV looks. After that I have 12 quarts or 3 changes of the Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF Ford licensed LV fluid. The fluid and labor for me is cheap compared to a transmission, but that's me.

Whimsey

It's not what the fluid looks like but the abrasive material that comes out with fluid during D/F.
IMHO, the first ATF change is the most important one and should be done at 10-15K miles, then every 30-40K miles.

Originally Posted by Whimsey
I did the a first drain & fill at 12,000 miles,

10,000 miles later I did the second D&F

I did another 10,000 mile D&F

I'll let the current fill go to ~20,000 miles and see how that Mercon LV looks.

Interesting that you decided to wait 20,000 miles for the next drain & fill. Are you sending the transmission fluid in for analysis, or just eyeing it to see how it looks? I'm curious as to what data your experiment will yield.

Why are you draining and filling with just 4 quarts? If you run the vehicle, shift it through the gears, then repeat the drain and fill 2 more times, your transmission will have fresh fluid.

My preference is fluid exchange through the transmission return line. Sometimes the transmission lines are not easy to access, and I will drain & fill. I always do the triple drain & fill, because I've heard it more than once and it's drilled into my thick head.

Originally Posted by Whimsey
The fluid and labor for me is cheap compared to a transmission, but that's me.

The math makes sense. Let's say you spend $XXX annually on fluid. Over the course of 10 years, how would that add up against cost of a new transmission? Only variables being that your transmission, after 10 years, even with regular service, may need to be rebuilt anyway because of wear & tear. No transmission will last forever, even if you are changing the fluid. I could wrong. I believe that regular fluid exchange, keeping fresh fluid in the transmission, is better than driving 10 years with contaminated transmission fluid.
[Linked Image]

My strategy for my Ford 6F35 is to do the triple drain & fill every 25,000 miles. I am aware that the factory once suggested that Mercon LV was a lifetime fluid. Then you hear that you should service it at 60.000 miles. Some people recommend 30,000 miles. Dealerships use a machine, hooked up to the cooling and return lines for a complete fluid exchange. Some people drain & fill just once. Some people think that you will be fine, because the 4 liter fill is sufficient to "freshen up" the transmission, since that is almost half the fluid. Some people think that you should follow the manual and do it 3 times.

My strategy for my Ford 4R75E was similar to what you are planning. At 10,000 miles, you've "broken in" the transmission. Good time to flush out the transmission. Get rid of the "break in" metal shear that's floating around in there. Dealership fluid exchange machine flushed out the OEM fill, and refilled with Royal Purple. I drained the fluid @ 20,000 miles, and it was still pretty clean, so I just refilled the pan. At 30,000 miles, the fluid was pretty good, so I refilled it again. At 45,000 miles, I exchanged the fluid completely by pumping it out the return lines. Dark (as expected), no burnt smell, and still in good condition. By now, the transmission had a mixture of Royal Purple, Red Line, Lucas Oil, and some Mercon from Wal*Mart. In hindsight, the boutique oil was a waste of money, and I could have used Wal*Mart Mercon. . Being lazy, forgetful, distracted by prurient pursuits, not driving that car regularly; 1 day I noticed that the oil had not been changed in almost 2 years & that it was @ 80,000 miles. Transmission fluid was dark (as expected), but did not smell burnt. Fluid exchange through the return line, Filled with a Amalie brand Mercon V. Car is now 12 years old. Transmission is fine. Lots of other similar models from that generation have experienced transmission failures.

Only time will tell if your strategy will work for you and your Hyundai. A lot of variables. Your driving style and road conditions will have a lot to do with it. Heavy loads. Hills. Stop & go traffic in 100 degree heat. My only experience with Hyundai is from when they first came on the market, and they were not very well made. I've heard that the cars are better now. What do the Hyundai forum people say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back