Change oil to final rinse cycle now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJ

Have a '94' Honda Accord purchased used a year ago and although I'll only put 6,000 miles per year on this car,it has 165,000 miles,runs great and oil consumption is zero

The first RX application went only 750 miles from old instructions and now have over 1,750 miles on second application using Pennzoil 10W-30 and haven't had time to change to the final rinse cycle.I know instructions now say to change at 1,500 miles and maybe oil color doesn't always mean much and from what can tell this engine since purchased seemed clean and the oil has never got dark,even on the first RX application,but checking oil today it was the darkest yet seen(close to black) and just a few days,or week ago,was still fairly amber in color.Regarding cleaning,assume this is good.Question:Should I go ahead and change oil/filter to the final rinse cycle now,or is the RX now really doing it's cleaning duties and although over 1,500 miles,leave in a while longer? Comments please..Thanks

Time to change oil and filter and start rinse cycle. Your oil is dirty and rinse oil will finish cleaning particulates off of your engine parts.
Look at what comes out after rinse cycle, please post

Definitely change that oil with fresh dino and a new filter. I'm at the same point as you are but did the stop leak procedure. My rear main seal leak has stopped.

This is what I did for stop leak:
1. Fresh dino with ARX, new filter - ran 1500 miles(1st cleaning)
2. Fresh dino, new filter - ran 2000 miles(1st rinse)
3. Fresh dino with ARX, new filter - ran 1100 miles(2nd cleaning)
4. Fresh dino, new filter - will drive 3000 miles(currently 200 miles, last rinse)

Comments:
Oil was black after step 3.
Engine runs\idles smoother.
Haven't calculated MPG yet but will during current OCI.
Engine warms up a lot quicker. Maybe it's the dino oil compared to synthetic? Not sure but I like it especially during these freezing cold mornings...heater comes up faster.
Rear main seal leak has stopped.

[ February 04, 2004, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: jeepzj ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back