Change oil or wait

I have 11 hours on my Amsoil engine oil in my John Deere X500. The oil has been in there a couple of years but was rarely used. I plan to use it far more routinely by mowing 3 lawns this summer (mine and 2 widows). Should I change the oil out now or leave it and change in the fall when mowing season ends? Thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Anywhere from 50-100 hours is what I see in OPE manuals with a filter. However, my Onan generator says change oil every 150 hours & it has NO oil filter. Of course yours is under a dirtier environment. You'll need to decide the cost of top ups but I've found them to be cost effective topping off a few times per oil change.

Thanks for the advice from everyone. I think that I will wait to change the oil after the mowing season ends since it's low hour's on the oil and the mower (133 hours) total on a 2009 mower. It does not use oil at all.

I am sure, like everybody else said, it will be just fine. Me? I guess I am the loner in that I would change it. Rule of thumb on oil changes is "usually" miles/hours or time of 1 year. Your oil is more than 1 year old and I would think acids and moisture could have diminished the additives in the oil. At a few bucks for fresh oil why not and have real piece of mind.

Leave it. I ran some Amsoil small engine in a zero turn with a newer air-cooled Kohler one time. I dumped the oil at a little under100 hours and it looked amazing! Not an Amsoil fanboy or anything, but was impressed that it barely looked used.

There is a guy that does YouTube videos about oil.

He tested new oil vs oil that was IIRC between 18 months and two years old. Vehicle was not driven much.

Old oil performed good in every way.

Modern oil does not go bad and is just fine for multi year use. I do it all the time in my seldom used equipment. Furthermore, the amsoil small engine oil has a good TBN and corrosion inhibitors. Not kidding, I'd be comfortable leaving that in 10 years, if I only ran the engine 5 hours per year.

Back