Change oil now or later?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The old 380SL is finally going in for body and paint. I have 1800 miles on its current OCI. It goes into the body shop this week and will be there til about April of 2019. Should I change the oil now or later? Since the 5.0 MB engine was put in a few years ago, it has always gotten 15W40 conventional. I was thinking of putting in a 5W40 in the event this car is moved under its own power when its very cold. Part of me says leave whats in there now til it comes back next year.

With only 1800 miles on the oil, it seems there is no reason to change it. Quality oil lasts a lot longer than a year.

Part of me says that too, though I suppose if the body shop is in Alaska maybe not.

Another part of me says stick with the 15W40 when it comes back, though I suppose if you are in Alaska maybe not.

Another part of me says "SIX MONTHS in a body shop?" though I suppose that could be normal in Alaska.

Another part of me says "Are you in Alaska?"

"very cold" is relative to where you live. I think it is VERY cold this morning @ 45 degrees.

you do not state how long the current oil has been in the engine

if more then 6 months just change it instead of worrying about it

Which part of the country do you live?

The car will be in central Ohio for its body work.

I would be more concerned about the fuel in the tank and fuel system going bad. You most definitely want to add a fuel stabilizer and maybe take out the battery and put a trickle charger on it at home, or you will be buying a battery in april.

Originally Posted by Michael_P
Which part of the country do you live?

The car will be in central Ohio for its body work.

Six or seven months of body work and paint. Does he charge by the week or month?

I can understand your thinking...body shop employees starting your car up cold...repeatedly..and not giving a poop about waiting for the oil to flow nicely. However, unless they are going to drive it somewhere off the property, they likely won't be putting it under much load so you should be fine. I would change the oil once it comes back to you. Air in a body shop environment can be pretty ugly. I usually change oil, oil filters and air filters when I get anything back from the paint shop.

Thanks for all the suggestions and info folks. I held off the oil change. The car went in Friday. Aside from dropping off the occasional part or two, I wont see it til after winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back