Change Oil for the seasons or the *miles*

Status
Not open for further replies.
BMW X5 4.4 picked up in late March. Changed oil out in July at around 3200 miles on it with Redline 5W30 - mainly to get the break in contaminents out. It's currently at 6100 miles. I'm sure this oil still has plenty of miles left in it. It's soon to be winter out here in NYC however.

Contemplating changing the oil for the winter or just keep the oil in till it hit's around 9K miles which should be right about when springtime starts. What do ya'll suggest.

If it were my truck I'd change it out bc the engine is still breaking in, plus I'd like to see your used oil analysis.
grin.gif
The oil should get you through the winter with no problems but I think another flush and fill would be ideal.

chefwong, where are you buying RL up there? From work I'm about 45mins from NYC.

I'm going to do a UOA probably on the next oil change. Doesn't make sense for me to do one now, as there is still break in but I'm sure some of you guys do UOA's regardless ;)Most likely will change out oil now and then do another change after the winter.

I don't have a source for Redline up here. I've always bought from myoilshop.com (even before they became BITOG sponsers) as they always had great prices !

[ November 02, 2003, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: chefwong ]

quote:

I don't have a source for Redline up here. I've always bought from myoilshop.com (even before they became BITOG sponsers) as they always had great prices !

Yeah me too. They have great prices.
cheers.gif

Chef, I like to change seasonally, by the calender. 2 times a year for most people, I need 3 changes because of the amount of miles I drive. A few can even go a whole year on a change with a heated garage and low miles. Twice a year changes up to 8000 miles each, once during anual state inspection and another 6 months later not exceeding 8000 miles. Waiting and counting miles is tedious and mistake prone. So what if I change based on time with a few less miles, it is convenient to get it done with inspection and again 6 months later.

I would pick an easily available oil based on BMWs requirements, Mobil 1 0w-40 or GC meet the BMW Long-Life 02 spec. A few 5w-40 weight synths are around that are good, but not Long-Life spec: Kendall Full Syn, Syntec 10w-40 and Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 are ACEA A3- a good starting point. Mobil 1 30 weight or Syntec 30 weight ACEA A5 oils would be bare-minium I would not use the Redline in your vehicle. Drive it hard to seat the rings and change oil for winter and again in 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back