Change it, or leave it in awhile longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle in question is a 1985 Volvo 245 non turbo, about 217K miles on it. Mobil 1 10W-30 in it with a Mann filter. No leaks or consumption issues; it's just that this vehicle doesn't get driven much. Oil was last changed in January, 2002 (yes, that's about eighteen months ago), and the car has gone maybe 1,500 miles in that time, almost all of it short trips to and from my son's school (8 miles each way). Time to change it? Anyone want to see a UOA? (silly question) Thanks for any input.

I would change it. If you have been using synthetic for a long while (Mobil 1 or Amsoil)then it's not as critical. But I would error on the side of conservatism and change. The short trips are another problem.

Wow, that is low mileage in 18 months! I would probably leave it if it still looks good. If it's M-1, it should be fine for another 1.5 k mi. and 18 months....

The first thing I'd do it take it out for a good long drive (1 hour +). That will at least get rid of the condensation in the oil, and will also boil out any fuel or other volitile liquids. It will also clean out any loose solids that might have accumulated.

I'd try to do this at least once an month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back