change it cold ? my 2003 Mustang Cobra 4.6L Whipple Super charger

my oil on my 2003 mustang cobra is about 2 years old, was mobil 1 5w30 with mobil 1 oil filter. due to life change and covid, i havent drove it for about 8 month, and before that i drive every other month, total miles was 50 miles last 2 years, now im ready to change it, since i have a week off and quarantine myself since one of my co worker got the virus. im thinking changing the oil , i know the oil have life , should i crank it up and let it run or drive around a bit or change it cold ? thanks. Same oil type and weight and filter going back in.

Go ahead and warm it up. Two year old oil is not going to be degraded to the point of being dangerous. Just check it first and make sure it's not way overfull (or empty).

A Termi Cobra, one of my future dream garage queens when I'm rich. 16-17 years later I'm still torn between black or Sonic Blue. What color is yours? Pics or it doesn't exist! 😁

If it were my car, if you plan on driving it soon then I'd change it. It's only going to hurt the wallet. If you plan on letting it sit longer, then I'd leave it until just before it sees the pavement again.

If you're the type that changes oil in 15 minutes, then I'd warm it up. I like to let as much as possible drip out (30 minutes to an hour while I do something else), so I always change mine cold.

With a such good oil in there and only 50 miles on it, I would go for a long drive and park it. You will be alone so I can't see any harm. The little if any moisture in the engine will have been burned off. I would not change the oil with such little use on it. I go every three years on my little used collector cars and analysis of the oils support my practices.

When it's warmed up, there is more oil in internal parts of the engine than when it's just in the pan sitting cold...

A Termi Cobra, one of my future dream garage queens when I'm rich. 16-17 years later I'm still torn between black or Sonic Blue. What color is yours? Pics or it doesn't exist! 😁

If it were my car, if you plan on driving it soon then I'd change it. It's only going to hurt the wallet. If you plan on letting it sit longer, then I'd leave it until just before it sees the pavement again.

If you're the type that changes oil in 15 minutes, then I'd warm it up. I like to let as much as possible drip out (30 minutes to an hour while I do something else), so I always change mine cold.
It’s 03 mustang terminator cobra 10th anniversary torch red , whipple with all support mod 625whp
4445CAF1-1826-4E85-A188-854B46EDB237.jpeg

Attachments

• 88E5775F-6424-44B9-94F8-4AB6839BD35D.jpeg
    88E5775F-6424-44B9-94F8-4AB6839BD35D.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Yes definitely drive it first, get that thing nice and toasty for a while and enjoy the ride. Then do the oil/filter service. My main reason for saying this is that your car sounds like it needs to be driven. It's not good to let a vehicle sit for 8 months unless it's been properly prepared for long-term storage. So, for the record, there's nothing wrong with changing cold oil once in a while, but it's not good as a regular practice.

Gorgeous car. I bought an '03 10th Anniversary new, Torch Red coupe just like yours, except it had the factory 10th Anniversary (14 spoke) wheels on it. Sold it in 2009.
Wow. I thought I knew them quite well, but I somehow didn't know there was a 10th anniversary edition. Thanks for teaching me something new! 2,003 of them made. Clever.

No offense, but the 5-spokes are the ONLY way to roll IMO.

What would compel you to sell it?!? Any regrets?

Wow. I thought I knew them quite well, but I somehow didn't know there was a 10th anniversary edition. Thanks for teaching me something new! 2,003 of them made. Clever.

The 10th ani wheel can’t handle the power I’m putting down so I went with 10.5 315 tires only way it hook . I wrap the 10th ani original wheel and put in storage .

The 5 spoke wheel . The IRS . The hood . The wings . The super charger is what make the terminator , terminator .

if you swap the super charger for the turbo or swap the IRS for SRA , it’s no longer the terminator.

The 5 spoke wheel . The IRS . The hood . The wings . The super charger is what make the terminator , terminator .

if you swap the super charger for the turbo or swap the IRS for SRA , it’s no longer the terminator.
This guy gets it! (y)

I'd have one that's 100% stock with only one possible exception. I may opt to swap the Eaton for a Whipple or a Kenne Bell. I've always been a sucker for a deafening, whining 4V.

This guy gets it! (y)

I'd have one that's 100% stock with only one possible exception. I may opt to swap the Eaton for a Whipple or a Kenne Bell. I've always been a sucker for a deafening, whining 4V.
Eaton running too hot, it actually heat soak the motor, i was debate between the whipple or the vmp, at the time whipple is more solid, vmp was having problem early gen, but now they are solid. You dont need much to make 600whp + , the motor is good for 900+ whp from factory. The irs is the weak point, pass 750 whp +, you need SRA.

i like the way i am now, 625 whp, not too much, not too little, right in the middle of everything.

I daily drove the car for 5 years and then parked it. It had right at 40,000 miles, had been sitting for about a year and a friend of a friend offered to buy it for almost what I paid.

If I could do it over I’d have left the car in storage and used it as a weekend driver, a completely original, one-owner 10th Ann. with under 50k would bring at least what it cost new, probably more now; they’re still going up.

That being said I don’t lie awake at night worrying about it, I’ve had plenty of fun cars, many of them somewhat rare and that was just one of them

Back