Change intervals for 1998 Pathfinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I was poking around here for a while..and couldn't seem to find regarding my question (any links would be appreciated). Anyways, I figured you guys know your stuff..

I have a 1998 Pathfinder (98,000 miles or 158,000 km), and I only drive about twice a week for now, which is a 30 mile (50km) round trip, which is pretty much all highway (I only hit about 5 stop signs the whole time, rest is highway speed).

I am looking to get the most out of my engine, which means I don't mind spending 10$ more or so for a higher quality oil change, if it's going to extend the life of my engine.

Since I barely do much milage, I was wondering what is a reasonable interval for oil changes? I am currently running M1 5W-30, and did two previous oil changes (didn't own vehicle before this) at roughly 5,000 km each.

I heard that going over 2.5RPM on my engine when it's cold can do damage, true/false? Any ideas?

Final question, should I use a synthetic oil filter, or just a normal one? This is from normal auto part store, not the dealer..thanks so much, any help/advice is really appreciated since I am not too knowledgeable in this area

I had a 97 nissan pathfinder. I bought the vehicle with 56,000 miles on it. I ran synthetic for the rest of the time I owned it. I sold it with over 225,000 miles on it and it still ran. I used Mobil 1 10w30 in it and also had some Amsoil 10w30 in it from time to time. I believe I ran about 5,000 miles or so on a change

I see..well my local part dealer may not have those specific oil filters in stock at the time, I never know..so is there any filters I should avoid? Or does that not matter too much? And isn't 5W-30 better than 10W-30 for cold weather? My winters are roughly -20 from December to February

I would say avoid Fram filters. I think the others would agree with me on that one. Nothing wrong with 5w30 you can see if your part dealer can get wix filters, they are very good also

5KM is about 3000 miles. You should be able to at the very least double that, maybe more. I go 10,000 in Ford engines with no problems M1.

Originally Posted By: toyotaguy
I would say avoid Fram filters. I think the others would agree with me on that one. Nothing wrong with 5w30 you can see if your part dealer can get wix filters, they are very good also

Yeah, I just had a wix fuel filter installed actually..

Originally Posted By: tig1
5KM is about 3000 miles. You should be able to at the very least double that, maybe more. I go 10,000 in Ford engines with no problems M1.

So you think I can go 10,0000km without an oil change on 100% synthetic M1 5w-30? Seems a bit high, but then again I heard it's a very good oil..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pathfinder98

Yeah, I just had a wix fuel filter installed actually..

Originally Posted By: tig1

So you think I can go 10,0000km without an oil change on 100% synthetic M1 5w-30? Seems a bit high, but then again I heard it's a very good oil..

Actually I ment 10,000 miles not KMs. I have been doing 10,000 mile OCIs with M1 oils for 31 years. Never an engine failure with some going 2 to 300,000+ miles.

I would say your very safe at 7,500 on mobil 1. Im not that experience with oil. But I can never leave an oil in a long time. Just me, bit of OCD you know. I get edgy.

really want to be adventurous you could get the Amsoil 0w30 oil. And really extend that drain interval. Then you would get very good cold and hot protection

You might be able to use a semi-synthetic like Motorcraft, good value for the money. Somewhat depends upon how cold it gets where your at - Windsor? Edmonton?

Toronto area..was about -20c this winter, im refering to low's, not high's..but it better to prepare for the worst?

I think any of the major synthetics will do the job for you. Mobil1, Pennz Plat. Valoline syn, or maybe German castrol 0w30 But Im going to let the guys with more time here comment on this

Alright I will see how I can get a M1 filter (cause im not sure where to get it from).

My book says that below -10c you should use 5w-30...and I barely do 10,000km a year...so I should probably use 5w-30 if im not going to change it for the winter? Just an idea..

Do you have Autozones in Canada? They carry Mobil 1 filters. And I believe Advanced auto also

lol nope..we don't have either one of those. Canadian Tire is big up here, but everytime I go near the section where oil and lubricants are to pick up some M1, I see the orange giant down the aisles..fram of course..

well I would go with any of the above mentioned. Cant really go wrong. ANd nothing wrong with 5w30 if you are more comfortable with that choice. But you could use a 0w30 also if you wanted. Great truck, I loved that truck never had any trouble other then replaced the fuel pump. And normal maintenance. I did go through some brakes on that vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back