Change Fork Oil Every 6000 miles ...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MoreCowbellAz
I think that HD 50k drain interval is even crazier than the 6k interval. HD specs a 20k interval for '00 Road King, which seems about right for that bike, maybe 25k at the high end, by then it's pretty nasty looking. At 50k, no way that oil resembles anything most of us would even remotely consider using in our bike. But I guess you have to keep in mind how many HD's ever hit 50k, maybe 5-10% of them?

Any OP, you seem pretty meticulous with you maintenance habits, I'd say continue with your gut and try to push that interval out after the first change. 12k really isn't that much. Think there's any chance Guzzi is thinking most of their users aren't going to do that many miles in the first place, therefore they're just addressing the first fork oil change?
. Your 2000 RK has air forks. Both my Electra Glide Ultras had air over oil forks which is the reason for the shorter drain intervals. I'll change my Superglides fork oil at 50,000 miles.....if it makes it! Tripped 40,000 miles today on a 110 mile ride.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gman2304
Your 2000 RK has air forks. Both my Electra Glide Ultras had air over oil forks which is the reason for the shorter drain intervals. I'll change my Superglides fork oil at 50,000 miles.....if it makes it! Tripped 40,000 miles today on a 110 mile ride.

I'm not positive what you mean by "air over oil forks", but I assume you mean both oil and pressurized air. That's how my forks are anyway, basically just regular old damper rod forks with an air fitting to make some minor adjustments. I assume your SG forks are catridge forks? Still, 50k seems pretty steep. I'm sure 50k won't cause them to seize or anything, I just gotta think that old fluid would be loaded with particulates and moisture by then.

Anyway, sorry to hijack.............back to the OP's Guzzi......did you decide?

50K changes are perfect for the new bikes and why the only fork oil requirement for the new bikes. Get the shocks rebuilt and your good to go another 50K miles.
The fork oil viscosity doesnt change over that time, its straight weight oil.

Im not so sure why sometimes we second guess the manufacturer of the products, here we are being told, no need to change fork oil for 50k miles and we still look for an excuse to call the manufacturer crazy.
Well, heck, there was even a time when automobile spark plugs had to be changed as 12k intervals, Im sure when it went to 100k intervals there were still people who changed their plugs at maybe 15 k instead. :eek:)

Chalk another check mark for Harley! No fork oil changes for 50K, no valve checks/adjustments and lets remind everyone we get 15K + out of the rear tire! 20K+ out of the front!
Hey, I owned 2 metrics and I LOVED them but hated replacing tires all the time, valve adjustments and being this is the longest I kept a bike, dont have to worry about the fork oil.

Knock wood, Owned this bike since new and 25,000 miles now, I still have not needed a repair, bike doesnt drip, lose or burn any oil between changes on the Road King, I will admit I get antzy at times and wouldnt mind a new one, but I just dont trust the new M8 engine, prices are going way too high and I hate the new colors and black painted metal.
I feel mine is almost one of a kind being Amber Whiskey and two tone Silver.

I think I will do what gman, will just bring it in get the forks rebuilt AND at the time, the steering head bearings serviced.

Last edited:
I change every 15k . I've found the bushings last longer . When the teflon wears off the bushings it starts wearing on the outer tube .

Change it now and use good fluid. Change it again in a year and see what it looks like ... That will tell you what sort of interval you should be shooting for
smile.gif

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Change it now and use good fluid. Change it again in a year and see what it looks like ... That will tell you what sort of interval you should be shooting for
smile.gif

yes because *looks* mean everything when it comes to oil

and yes i've done voa and uoa on fork and shock oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back