Change filter at 1500 miles??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put Autorx in my 1995 3.0 van (190,000) almost 1500 miles ago. Should I change the filter? The oil looks as clean as when I put it in. I have a couple of old Fram filters I don't mind sacrificing. Or should I worry about it in the rinse phase??
Thanks.

If the oil looks good, and the van is running good leave the filter alone. I changed mine out early and didn't have to, I should have just put the filter back on and continued, but was afraid of a leaking filter later on.

Most of the junk released will happen in the rinse phase.

If you start to hear strange noises, like more tapping from the engine than normal, or you start to feel as if your van is more sluggish. Either mean your filter is filled with junk.
I wouldent change it out till you feel the need.

However, if this was the 2nd phase, not the clean but the rinse phase, I would say YES. Lots of wild stuff come out in the rinse phase.

I recently did what you are asking about. I changed my filter out during the cleaning faze at 1,500 miles. I cut both filters open after I changed out the oil for the rinse faze and they are really clean. It was a waste of time and a filter (even though it was a Fram). But if it makes you feel better, go for it.

Change it out, it only few dolar different, Napa gold or Wix work best for clean and rinse phase, I bought 4 filter Napa gold for clean and rise phase, change out every 1500, after that Im plan do this clean and rinse again with 4 Napa gold or Wix. After that I will use Mobil 1 filter for sure.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I put Autorx in my 1995 3.0 van (190,000) almost 1500 miles ago. Should I change the filter? The oil looks as clean as when I put it in. I have a couple of old Fram filters I don't mind sacrificing. Or should I worry about it in the rinse phase??
Thanks.

What does the directions say...

I'm about 1500 miles into my rinse cycle and my oil pressure seems to be running a little lower than normal. I have an electric aftermarket gauge inline with my bypass filter. I was running about 50 psi at 2000-2300 rpm and about 35 psi at 1500. I still run 50 psi at 2300 but only have about 40 at 2000 rpm and 25-30 at 1500 rpm. My oil still looks clean and both my primary and bypass are hot to touch but for an $11 Wix, I'd rather not risk it.

I thought the Auto-Rx would cling to the metal in the engine, after 1500 miles.
Isn't that so?

The site says to change the oil filter around that point for sludge applications, is that what you are running the autorx for?

Since the instructions for sludge application say to swap the filter at 1250 miles and nothing about adding any autorx I would assume that most of it remains in there, right sprintman? Granted I have no experience w/ autorx and I know you have used it, so you may know something I don't.

If you are changing a filter or losing oil during the clean phase then yes, you should add a corresponding amount of auto-rx depending on how many quarts you lost. During the rinse phase, it should not matter as the auto-rx has already been drained when you changed the oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back