Champion Spark Plug Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1999 Hyundai Elantra's owners manual specifies Champion RC10YC4 plugs for the 2.0L motor and that is what was installed by the factory.

The Champion catalog specifies RC12YC plugs. This would be 2 heat ranges higher. Any idea why they would do this?
dunno.gif

Should I go with Hyundai's or Champion's recommendation?

quote:

Yes.

Champion often offers a different recommendation than the manufacturer in their aftermarket catalog.

I had the opportunity to ask them about it in Toledo some years ago. They said that they did their own dynamometer and field testing. Based on that they made independent recommendations.

In some cases it also deals with European/US/Japanese market differences. Certain numbers are offered in other markets that are not in the US catalog. Champion recommends another plug in those cases.

I'd take a look at the plugs that come out and make my own assessment based on whether they appear to be running too cool, hot, or about right.

Thanks for the excellent response
grin.gif
! I pulled the RC10YC4's and they look just fine. Light brown in colour, but worn enough to warrant a replacement. I can't see how the RC12YC's would not run hot, so I'm sticking with Hyundai's recommendation.

Also recommended in the manual are the NGK BKR5E's. What is the general concensus with NGK vs Champion?
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Audioquest:
My 1999 Hyundai Elantra's owners manual specifies Champion RC10YC4 plugs for the 2.0L motor and that is what was installed by the factory.

The Champion catalog specifies RC12YC plugs. This would be 2 heat ranges higher. Any idea why they would do this?

Yes.

Champion often offers a different recommendation than the manufacturer in their aftermarket catalog.

I had the opportunity to ask them about it in Toledo some years ago. They said that they did their own dynamometer and field testing. Based on that they made independent recommendations.

In some cases it also deals with European/US/Japanese market differences. Certain numbers are offered in other markets that are not in the US catalog. Champion recommends another plug in those cases.

I'd take a look at the plugs that come out and make my own assessment based on whether they appear to be running too cool, hot, or about right.

Comparing Champion plugs to NGK is like comparing Spam to Filet Mignon! Make your own decision based on that statement.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back