Champion Platinum Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really...NGK pre gaps the plugs at 0.50 and says not to change it. On all of the forums I see on the PT Turbo. They reccomend it to be lowerd to 0.44. I did that without touching the center wire which is very fragile. I think that a plug or two was defective. I did get a code p3000 multiple cyclinder misfire. The wires I have on are the Magnacore 8.5 wires.

I dunno. They don't make a plus 4 for saab turbos b/c we have no plug wires and need resistor plugs. How funny, our cars run at .039-.040 inch gap and everyone gaps down to .035.

But as far as plus 4's, I just don't think that design is good for boosted apps.

I used them when I replaced the OEM plugs (Autolite platinums I think) on my 1995 Lumina @ 75,000 miles. Huge improvement immediately apparent, but that probably had more to do with getting the old plugs out than anything. Coming up on 10,000 miles with them, and no problems whatsoever.

For what it's worth, when I took the old plugs out, they had worn evenly/no deposits, and the insulator has been burned down about 1/8 in.

quote:

"I have personally seen three of
them where the center section came loose in the
acorn. One of them even actually blew the center
right out of the block hanging on the spark
plug lead and left the acorn still wound in
the block. I was fortunate that nothing dropped
in to the cylinder when this happend."

end quote.

I had the same thing happen on a Champion in a Jaguar AJ6 engine. After that, I use only Autolite or NGK in my cars.

I have not had satisfactory results with any brand of platinum plug in an older car.

Mopar minivans really like champion spark plugs. especially the plat. ones (100,000 mile plug). I change mine out at about 60,000 miles and they still look very good.

Other than Mopars, I wouldn't use them in anything else.

Talking about seeing a difference or not...I just changed out the original NGK plugs (not plat) in my saab after 69k miles. I didn't see one bit of difference in performance or mpg.

Just remember that over/under torqued plugs can overheat and blow out (seen A.C. Delco do this a long time ago) or also cause misfires ....installation techniques are the key to most malfunctions.

Well greaser and 95_caravan. I agree that
installation can cause problems but not three
occurances within 2 years. Once maybe
Three times ?? No Way.

Spark plugs are designed to perform a simple basic function for specific OEM applications. Champion had a dedicated engineering/development program for Chrysler in the mid 60s to produce and supply plugs for the /6, LA, B-RB engines of the time. Use the manufacturer recommended plugs and you should not go wrong. I have used Champ plugs in various Mopars I've owend over the past 30 years. The only problems I ever encountered were one time when a seized plug broke the insulator on attempted removal and some issues related to high altitude operations, which were easily remedied with a heat range adjustment. Both of these problems can be attributed to the mechanic, not the plug. I have had the same set of plugs in one particular 440 for almot 40k miles and they still look good. I only hope I live long enough to use all the Champion plugs I have sitting on my parts shelf.

i've seen the same issue with the gold/premium champion plugs on a 1.8 vw a few years ago and have seen multiple tiny hairline cracks on autolites from different stores. never seen a issue with the standard champions. i prefer ngk's or denso plugs and the iridiums are great also. if you have a engine that takes multiple knuckles and extensions and access panels to remove then use a good name brand plug..

I had bad experiences with bosch in 2 fords.
I normally stick with autolite as they make
the motorcraft plugs too.
Dbl plats in the ranger.. Copper in the older cars
and today they went in my '91 caddy.
My dad's mitsubishi mightymax 2.4L didnt
like the bosch either.. he ended up with
champions.
I did put NGK ?coppers? in my girlfriends 2001
accent. It was the factory replacement plug.
Oh and if anyone else has an accent get factory
wires only.. 3 different sets of aftermarkets I looked at.
Weren,t even close to the same boot end(engine side)

The bosch +4 is all marketing, they are an
old style adapted from an airplane engine design.
if they actually did anything worthwhile I think some manufacturer would use them as OEM part.
In fact there is an argument for them SHIELDING
the spark.

Rand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back