Champion Platinum Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know if they are any good?

I just installed a set in my van today. I can definetly feel a small difference in response. I guess time will tell though.
cheers.gif

I prefer Champion plugs. If I can't get them I wait until their available or I special order them.

I always try to go with what the vehicle came with, But I figured what the heck and upgraded to platinums.

I wouldn't put a Champion Spark Plug in my
Weedwhacker. I have personally seen three of
them where the center section came loose in the
acorn. One of them even actually blew the center
right out of the block hanging on the spark
plug lead and left the acorn still wound in
the block. I was fortunate that nothing dropped
in to the cylinder when this happend.

Stay away from Champions. Go with a good
plug like AC or NGK's. I never had a
problem with them.

As long as you are going with a "Bottom Feeder" plug like AC. Autolite, Champion...I would recommend the Autolite Plats.

My last set was autolite they did ok, But they were only in for about 7 months. I hae used AC's in the past I always liked them. Just figured I'd try something different this time. Should have just went with the NGK's.

I dig the denso iridium plugs so far but i only got about 10K on them well see how they perform in the long run. I know for sure that toyotas are picky when it comes to sparkplugs. They recommend the double ground plugs perfer denso or NGK.

Actually, I've heard that at least for awhile, Champion was making the platinum plugs for a number of the brand name plugs mentioned.

A close friend has an auto parts store and sells several major brands of sparkplugs. His experience has been that customer (including auto techs) satisfaction has been just as high among the Champion users as it has been among the users of the other brands.

I can really feel a small difference between these and the autolites, starts a little easier, Idle's smoother, And pick's up better. Don't know about gas mileage yet havent driven far enough yet.

Some spark plug brands seem to work better than other brands in some engines, by observation.

I started using NGK V-power plugs and discovered a sharper throttle response with that style of plug (which Toyota has used for many years, but with normal nomenclature on it). How much difference they make depends upon the combustion chamber design. They made a noticeable difference in my '80 Chrysler 360, but not quite so much in a '67 Chrysler 383 (w/906 heads) or in my '77 Camaro 305.

Check out the brochure for the new Autolite Iridium plugs. It shows some good shots of the flame kernel of these plugs (and some competitors' plugs too!) . . . which is really what it's all about.

I used to have Champions in all of our Chrysler products, as that's basically the "spec" plug for Chryslers. I now have NGKs in them and they work well too--at least as well as the higher priced Splitfires.

It might be all about just getting a spark to ignite the fuel/air mixture, but it's now important that the quality of the spark and its "fire" is more important than in the past. Not to mention how much of the original electrical energy gets "through" the plug to make the spark.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I drive a car where owners are rabid NGK loyalists. I've run Champion Plats, AC Delco Plats, Autolites, and BOSCH and still can't tell ONE BIT of DIFFERENCE! But new oil makes my car idle smoother and quieter.
grin.gif

Yeah, those lousy Champion plugs- my factry installed plain ole copper core Champions were still running fine, starting quick, & getting great gas mileage when I removed them at 89,988 miles. Although they would "cut out" a little above 6200 rpm- those crummy Champion plugs!
grin.gif

Im also using Champion Truck plugs on my Dakota. I switched from the Original Champions last tune-up. They look ******* Sweet, but I felt no real diff. I guess Their made just for hard driving trucks and SUV's. I might try NGK's V plugs on my next tune-up.

Champion Platnium works fine for my corolla, replaced the Autolite copper that didn't work well in there before. I guess it was because I didn't gap them right as they wear only on one side of the edge instead of rounding it evenly.

NGK V power always works great, but they seems to last only 25k or so, I think for almost the same price Champion Platnium is better, both at around $2.00.

How's Bosch Platinum +4? I can get a set of 'em plus a $10 AutoZone gift card in the mail.
dunno.gif

Well I installed a set of NGK Iridium Plugs in my 2004 PT turbo. And after 3,000 miles I developed a high speed miss....Replaced the plugs with the factory cooper from champion...and the miss is gone....I quess that I am old school (52). The bottom line is the job of a plug is to fire the mixture and to dissipate heat. All of these high tech plugs are fine....but for about a buck or two the old reliable spark plug will do just fine...

Champions are the standard plug for the older mopars. I've used them for years, never had any problems with them. Also used A/Cs' and autolites. One of my cars is running fine on a set of Bosch non-plats that I pulled out of a cylinder head from the J/Y.
grin.gif
Replaced the original Champ Double plats in my 2000 GC at 78K miles, just because. I put Autolite double plats in because I got them on sale for $3.99 at NAPA.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Only plugs I ever had problems with were Bosch plats. I'm not sure why, but the older Mopars don't seem to like them.
nono.gif

rszappa1, your problem was probably incorrectly gapped plugs. Too wide a gap on a turbo car will allow the boost to "snuff" the spark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back