Champion 9001 (RC10PYB4) Spark Plugs w/ 155k miles (05 Hyundai XG350)

PXL_20201003_165115787.jpg

Out of my XG350. Not the worst looking plugs I've seen. Odd how the rear bank (top in the photo) all have less electrode but also much less corona staining than the front bank (bottom). This is a waste spark system, and the coils are on the front bank. Wonder if that has something to do with it. These were the OEM plugs and I replaced with more of the same.

Ran the same before and after. Honestly not a terrible job. The valve cover gaskets on this engine are a PITA though - don't drop that bolt on the rear bank down into the timing cover!

My brother in law has the exact same car, but his is an 04 with ~250k miles on the original plugs, coils, and spark plug wires. Wonder how those look!

I tried Denso Iridiums in my Ranger. At about 20K miles I took them out for inspection (also a waste spark system). On the bank that received the normal spark polarity, the plugs looked normal. On the bank with the reverse polarity spark, the center electrode (Iridium no less) was totally gone. I threw those expensive plugs in the trash and replaced them with OEM.

Back