chainsaw grease

Anybody find anything better than the typical Oregon grease for their chainsaw clutch bearing? I don't use my saws very often any more and I've found sometimes they have the grease harden up and clog the port. I usually use the oregon stuff for ease of use. If I r&r the bearing, though I like super-lube grease as it seems to have a better shelf life.

For plastic caged needles as used by Stihl a drop of engine oil is recommended.Steel caged bearings need a dab of multipurpose grease.Best not to use moly grease.

I just learned something new today. Never in my life have I heard about greasing those.i guess I should go check on mine.

Same as above, wheel bearing grease. My stupid 445 does not have the grease port on the crank snout so I pull the clutch from time to time. The manual asks for oil but the shape of the clutch drum makes it difficult. 7 years and counting.

Same as above, wheel bearing grease. My stupid 445 does not have the grease port on the crank snout so I pull the clutch from time to time. The manual asks for oil but the shape of the clutch drum makes it difficult. 7 years and counting.
Probably a good idea, I've seen a lot of those grease ports clog up and not really work anyway.

My 271 doesn't have a way to lube the needle bearing without taking off the clutch either...that I've ever found anyway.
I believe the bearing only spins at idle, once the clutch is fully engaged it should be at the same speed as the crankshaft.

Oregon sprocket grease is made in Germany by Hallbauer. It's a mineral high temp axle grease according to the SDS. I've been using it for a long time and I even have it in the gear case of an edger, a string trimmer, and articulating hedge trimmer.
Screenshot_20231010_161306_Drive.jpg

I believe the bearing only spins at idle, once the clutch is fully engaged it should be at the same speed as the crankshaft.
Right. There's not a lot of stress on that bearing, as there's no relative motion while cutting.

As far as I know there is no chainsaw that has a passage to grease the clutch bearing. I think stihl at one time said that oil gets in there. The chainsaw grease guns are for the tip sprocket on bars that have the hole for it.

Back