chainsaw clutch maintenance?

Working on my old reliable Husqvarna 246. Great little saw. Anyways found the clutch bearing grease port cemented closed with either ancient grease or melted plastic. Needle bearing was of course fried, no cage even to be found. The plastic worm gear is worse for wear as well as the chain sprocket. This model has a sprocket integrated into the clutch drum so looks like that gets replaced, too. Is there any type of recommended lubrication of the clutch mechanism? This one uses centrifugal weights that slide slightly on radial arms. Would it be advisable to give those a very light touch of moly grease or is this unnecessary? Also, what is the best grease to use on the needle bearings? I assume I will eventually be able to unclog the grease port and just maintain with my bar grease injector but if not will something like super-lube hold up?

Attachments

• clutch.JPG
    clutch.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 56
I would keep grease away from the inside of the clutch, i.e. the weight arms. I cant imagine that would be good slung on to the clutch face.

Working on my old reliable Husqvarna 246. Great little saw. Anyways found the clutch bearing grease port cemented closed with either ancient grease or melted plastic. Needle bearing was of course fried, no cage even to be found. The plastic worm gear is worse for wear as well as the chain sprocket. This model has a sprocket integrated into the clutch drum so looks like that gets replaced, too. Is there any type of recommended lubrication of the clutch mechanism? This one uses centrifugal weights that slide slightly on radial arms. Would it be advisable to give those a very light touch of moly grease or is this unnecessary? Also, what is the best grease to use on the needle bearings? I assume I will eventually be able to unclog the grease port and just maintain with my bar grease injector but if not will something like super-lube hold up?

When I had my Stihl serviced in the spring they used a white general grease. I intended to use a dab of Lucas red n tacky when I service the bearing again.

just my $0.02

I would keep grease away from the inside of the clutch, i.e. the weight arms. I cant imagine that would be good slung on to the clutch face.
If you don’t lube this bearing worse things than grease on the clutch shoes will happen. It’s the smallest amount of grease to keep the bearing lubed.

just my $0.02

Back