Chainsaw Chain Oil

Is CS oil anything special? At $10+per quart is there an oil of reasonable price that will work just as well?
Thanks guys
Smoky

$10 a quart, SCREW THAT!
I have 2 acres of woods on my 5 acre property. I have used Poulan Pro and Supertech chainsaw oils and they work just fine.

Really? Back when my dad had a Montgomery Ward's electric chainsaw, the recommendation in the owners manual was for any SAE 30 oil. I get that some of these have special additives to keep the oil from flying all over the place, but I'm skeptical.

It can be found for under $10.00 per gallon. Example:
It is a basic low-grade 30W oil but it has a "tackiness" additive specifically for this application. When you pour it it doesn't act like motor oil.

I have a Husq Rancher I bought 16 years a go to clear my lot. A few hundred trees later it gets use yearly but sure not a work saw by any stretch. I used many quarts of old ATF after fill/drains for this purpose. Now I use the ST mentioned above as it's cheap and available at Wallyworld. Just keep it clean and the chain lubed and it works. Not finicky for sure.

typical BAR oil is or was "line wash" bits of evrything.

But now day is straight base oil ISO 68-150 normally with a 1/2 to 1% of a tackifier to help keep it from not slinging all over you.

So use old left over motor oil is OK

I was just in Home Depot this morning and bar oil was $10 a gallon. I've used lots and lots of odds and ends of left over oils in chain saws with no apparent issues. The down side of multi-grade auto oil is that it runs through the saw more quickly so you have to refill more often.

Back