CG, etc. for '90 Toyota 4x4, V-6 - " Convoluted question"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having analysis paralysis and the GC 0w-30 finally got to our Autozones and I have a friendly manager deal if I buy at least 12.
Would GC be a thick enough 30 in constant 90-100F heat days? Rarely below 32F in "winter" here! This rebiult engine ran Castrol GTX 20w-50 the last 12,000 miles after a 10w-30 break in. A bit thick and Mobil 1 5w-30 now made me think a 20w-50 might NOT be "best". Owners Manual says 5w-30, 10w-30 and 10w-40. If the MAIN and ONLY ADVANTAGE of Synthetics is longer OCI, then these are not for me. Marginal advantages then cost/waste is not important.

6 miles to work but only 180 days a year. Some desert/mountain 4x4-ing, no heavy loads or hard driving, rarely WOT, oil gets warmed up good on the highway at least every weekend.

GC 0w-30.
Mobil 1 TSUV 5w-40
OR Mob 1 15w-50
Castrol GTX or blend XXwXXXX?
might consider Schaeffers
Your first hand favorite for 3.0L Toyota 3-VZE.

quote:

Originally posted by Cicero:
Would GC be a thick enough 30 in constant 90-100F heat days? Rarely below 32F in "winter" here!

GC is probably one of the thickest 30 weight oils available, very close to Mobil 1 0w-40. I would give a shot. If you notice increased oil usage, then try a thicker oil. I would bet that you'll have great results with GC. Don't let the 0w scare you into thinking the oil is too thin.

Maybe a quality 15w40 HDEO (Penzoil LL, Delo 400, Delvac 1300S, Schaeffer's, etc) would be suitable for your application. Sounds like you drive about 5K miles/yr on this vehicle and the oils above sound be should be capable of such an interval. Viscosity is on the more viscous side, which you seem to prefer with the heat you encounter. If your concerned about cold weather operation below 32F, change to a GF-4/SM (most are syn blends) 5w30 for the winter months.

But if you like the GC 0w30, it should be fine year 'round in your application as it's viscosity approaches a SAE 40 viscosity grade at normal running temps.

[ January 12, 2005, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

10K to 12K a year is more like it.
Thanks for the help so far. Still considering all options. I might save the GC for next "winter"?
Was just looking at GC at Autozone and happened to ask the manager stocking the shelves if he would match the $3.99 coupon price on Castrol Syntec at Checkers. He did. I got 6 qts. on impulse even though I haven't convinced myself to give it a try.

I just now see GC isn't "Japanese valve train" approved. I hope that's nothing to worry about in this Toyota V6. I'm new at this and am trying to not make foolish, expensive mistakes.

If you don't mind paying/shopping for the GC 0w30, you'll be hard pressed to find an oil a great deal more superior for the price. I'd do a search in the UOA section to see what results others are having with this engine. Consider doing an UOA yourself to turn up any anomalies with any oil and YOUR engine.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
If you don't mind paying/shopping for the GC 0w30, you'll be hard pressed to find an oil a great deal more superior for the price. I'd do a search in the UOA section to see what results others are having with this engine. Consider doing an UOA yourself to turn up any anomalies with any oil and YOUR engine.

I sure didn't mind at $3.99. But I might wait until next "winter" to try it.
Went to look for more GC at another Autozone and the manager there said I was the second guy in tonight looking for it. "The mechanics are reading the back of that bottle like a can of soup," he said. Made me laugh. I didn't tell him maybe they were looking for "German" on the back.
Couldn't find any GC UOAs on this engine but read others anyway. Maybe I'll post one for older 3VZE engines someday. Still thinking about using my Pepboys "1/2 off" coupon on either Mobil 1 TSUV 5w-40 or Mobil 1 15w-50 for the "summer" change ahead. (BITOG has really put the hook in me. I NEVER would have thought I'd be looking forward to an oil change.)

Off topic, but anyone know when Schaeffer's 5w-20 will be posted for sale on their site? Is that the "cheapest" place to buy Schaeffers? I might want to try it instead of the Castrol GTX 5w-20 I am using in the wife's '04 Accord V6 now. Hope to see a VOA soon to compare.

Off topic, but I am a little concerned by occasional post references that different labs seem to have different numbers on VOAs of the same oil. Trying to sort this out in my mind before I buy "in bulk" OA kits.

I have the same engine as you and run M1 5w40 TSUV and like it a lot. If your miles are spread throughout the year, I would just do 6 month oil changes (ie: 6/1 and 12/1) with this oil. I had a UOA done at 5K and the oil could have gone on a bit longer which would fit your yearly average. It seems like M1 is easier to get a hold of than GC so that might be a consideration as well, unless you horde it like some people do
wink.gif
. I'd use the 5w40, though.
UOA: UOA
I've got another 1500 miles to go before next sample.

OT Where in NM do you live? I used to live up in Chimayo for about 10 years.

Never tried the GC 0w-30 as not available here but did try the Mobil SUV 5w-40. It's a great oil. Considering cost and performance, it stays in grade and tuff to beat.

quote:

Originally posted by Toy4x4:
I have the same engine as you and run M1 5w40 TSUV and like it a lot. Where in NM do you live? I used to live up in Chimayo for about 10 years.

Gallup for 10, Las Cruces for 16 yrs.
Thanks for the UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back