Cerflon for guns and gun parts

I have a can of this but have no way to use it for the labeled purpose anymore. (I've moved on to using different products on chains and don't have any cables that need lubing)

Would it be safe to use as a general cleaner for firearms and magazines? The SDS says most of the product is petroleum distillates and then a trace amount of the Cerflon lubricant stuff. I figure this would be good at least for a wipe down on guns and mags, although it's not apparent if this has enough to prevent corrosion from humid air.

CERFLON® is a ceramic-reinforced fluoropolymer (PTFE). The patented CERFLON® FluoroCeramic technology increases the lubricity and durability for lubricants and coatings! The chemical compound, Boron Nitride, is added to the fluoropolymer PTFE (also known by the DuPont registered trademark Teflon®). Not only is Boron Nitride the only material known to fully reinforce PTFE, in fact, in a 4 Ball Wear Test (an industry standard test that measures the wear protection of a fluid on a metal surface), a base oil compound with CERFLON® scores 15% better than a base oil compound in PTFE alone.

Not sure if I would use a PTFE in guns.. I would think from excessive heat it would get sticky and gummy

Not sure if I would use a PTFE in guns.. I would think from excessive heat it would get sticky and gummy

Rem-Oil which is a very commonly used gun oil also contains PTFE (or "Teflon") and does not have that issue, though.

Which Cerflon product are you talking about? Cerflon is just an additive.

In my post, the link below the first paragraph. Liquid Wrench Chain & Cable Lube.

(the new site does that any time you post a link)

probably not my go to product but it does provide decent corrosion protection. I prefer something more sheer. Have had very good results with fluid film and boeshield T9 for external wipe downs to protect from foul weather.

I use that particular version of liquidwrench extensively on bicycle chains and have been VERY satisfied.

Thanks Buck. I'm only using it since I have an entire can that has no purpose otherwise. If it can be used to wipe down the guns then that works for me. I can always follow up with an actual gun oil later.

Sometimes you got to scratch your head here.. they ask advice you tell them.. and they change the advice given to what they want to hear.
I have zero vested interest in anyone's wellbeing on this board aside from mine. I do, however, like to propagate accurate knowledge to the best of my ability. I shared. Mission accomplished. In the real world, I advise people in life and death matters all the time, and often am ignored, and get to see the repercussions/deal with them. If I got all tore up about it, I don't know what shape I'd be in, by now, lol!

Sometimes you got to scratch your head here.. they ask advice you tell them.. and they change the advice given to what they want to hear.

The reason I didn't take your (or Ws6's) advice is because I found something that contradicts it.

Smith and Wesson actually sells their own brand of gun oil that also contains Cerflon.

Rem-Oil which is an 'ol reliable' among gun oils ALSO contains PTFE.

So my logical conclusion is that this chain & cable lube stuff I have can't be detrimental to use on guns since it contains Cerflon and petroleum distillates. It's basically WD40 with PTFE, both of which have been used on guns for decades.

Rem-oil is lousy, in my experience, though it’s good for wiping down tools.

DPMS said specifically not to use Rem-oil in my LR-308 rifle. Thought that was interesting because DPMS was owned by Remington...

I’ve always heard not to use Teflon in high heat applications, so, I wouldn’t use your Chain and cable lube on guns. You don’t know what concentrations of Cerflon/Teflon exist in gun lubes vs. in this lube, so it may have way too much, or it may be fine. Too many unknowns for me.

It’s also pretty sticky and viscous, isn’t it? I wouldn’t use it on a semi auto for that reason alone.

No that's the thing. The chain lube stuff is about as watery as Rem Oil or WD40. I spray it onto a cloth and use it to wipe down powder residue on magazines and it dries fairly quickly and leaves behind a light oily surface.

I think if everyone in this thread has assumed this stuff is as thick as white lithium then I can understand why you keep saying PTFE is sticky and thick.

Back