CEO of NASCAR arrested for Drunk/Drugged driving...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a tad bit awkward...

NASCAR CEO and chairman Brian France was arrested on charges of aggravated driving while intoxicated and criminal possession of a controlled substance, according to a Sag Harbor Village (New York) Police Department news release.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/...olled-substance

Will he be treated the same as a NASCAR driver with the same issues... or will he simply resign?

Does what happens to NASCAR matter? Saturday I went with a friend to a local NASCAR race and the cars were nice driving around in circles was a bit boring bit the trailer destruction derby was the most fun thing I have watched for quite a while. That and the partying people. Women are way more fun to be around when they have been drinking large quantities of beer.

I could care less about Nascar, but his punishment should be whatever he gets from the justice system. I don't like how society thinks
someone is supposed to step down or be fired anytime they get in trouble or accused of something in todays times.

I agree. What's the big deal? A DWI and a possession charge.

First offense? Deep pockets? Up the fine. Suspend the sentence....just like on TV.

To skyactiv: The expression is, "I couldn't care less", not "I could care less". Your way means you care.

Weird Al Yankovich did a great song about words. He's great.

Yeah, he was giving a once in a lifetime opportunity by daddy and [censored] it away.

No wonder he was acting very bizarre the last few years...

Originally Posted By: CT8
Does what happens to NASCAR matter?

It's just a poor example and not a great move with respect to PR. Not every motorsport boss is Bernie and can engage in bizarre behaviour without anyone even blinking.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I could care less about Nascar, but his punishment should be whatever he gets from the justice system. I don't like how society thinks
someone is supposed to step down or be fired anytime they get in trouble or accused of something in todays times.

I agree...especially since we seem to have a double standard in America.....

Originally Posted By: Garak
It's just a poor example and not a great move with respect to PR. Not every motorsport boss is Bernie and can engage in bizarre behaviour without anyone even blinking.

Was it Bernie, or that guy Max Mosley from F1, who got caught in a video that was shot in some kind of high priced whorehouse, with women dressed in leather, and wielding whips and chains "disciplining" him?

I remember seeing a clip of Schumacher and Barrichello laughing uncontrollably like Hyena's when they saw it. I think Mosley resigned right after the video went public.

That was Mosley. Bernie just likes young wives and cracks jokes when his mother-in-law gets kidnapped.
wink.gif

I agree with the poster who said it's really not anyone's business. Not to say it isn't newsworthy, but local newsworthy. The internet age being live doesn't mean it's every person with a connection's business. As for NASCAR I'm sure they have a policy and if they don't, will probably create one, but it's up to them. I don't agree he should be subject to some penalty retroactively if none exists now.

He's got his problems, he should get it straightened out, but it's on him and not me. His choice.

DUI and a controlled substance?? That's about what I would have to be on to watch NASCAR. His problem not ours. Shame that we are but one car forum where I can say I have more confidence in most here than the people who operate performance vehicles for a profession.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
I agree with the poster who said it's really not anyone's business. Not to say it isn't newsworthy, but local newsworthy.

Local newsworthy and newsworthy for fans of motorsport, I'd call it. It's made news in the UK motorsport press.

Here's what I think NASCAR would do to a driver with those same circumstances: Suspension followed by mandatory rehabilitation before reinstatement.

So isn't that what is happening? Brian has stepped aside and Jim France is now running things. I'll bet you will hear that Brain is in some rehab program within a few days, followed by a period of time (months?), then an announcement that Brian has successfully completed the program and is back in charge.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Here's what I think NASCAR would do to a driver with those same circumstances: Suspension followed by mandatory rehabilitation before reinstatement.

So isn't that what is happening? Brian has stepped aside and Jim France is now running things. I'll bet you will hear that Brain is in some rehab program within a few days, followed by a period of time (months?), then an announcement that Brian has successfully completed the program and is back in charge.

That is exactly what they would do. They have the "Road to Recovery" program for individuals that fail drug tests. AJ Allmendinger did it a few years ago after failing a test for taking half an Adderall. Just this year Spencer Gallagher was placed on suspension and completed the program after winning the xfinity race in Talladega.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back