Central AC in climates that cool off at night

We have warm summer days ranging to 90-94 F in the late afternoon, but cooling to 55 F by 3:00 AM. I usually throw open the windows early in the morning to cool the house to 70 F then shut the windows when the outside temp hits 70. By 4:00 PM the inside temp usually hits 73 and I programmed the AC to come on. The outside temp might be 90 F but the relative humidity is a lowly 15%. There is almost a 20 F difference between inside and outside temps during the late afternoon. I find if I try to set the inside temp lower, to say to 70 F I might get some icing across the condenser coils. Would this be normal? Also, once the outside temp is below 73 I find I might get icing if I tried to get the inside temp to lower than 70 F. I’m wondering if I should have the charge pressure checked. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Its always been my understanding that frozen coils meant something was off with the charge. Probably at least be worth having it checked for peace of mind.

Icing is usually due to low refrigerant charge or inadequate air flow .

This is good to know. I have an old Montgomery Ward window unit that has been icing up the condenser more and more this season. It still cools great, but I'd bet after 30 years it's probably a bit low!

This is good to know. I have an old Montgomery Ward window unit that has been icing up the condenser more and more this season. It still cools great, but I'd bet after 30 years it's probably a bit low!
Got to cost a fortune to run that old, low seer rated unit. A new unit would pay for itself in short order, especially if it's a 110V unit.

It would cost more to recharge it (freon) than buying a new one.

We have warm summer days ranging to 90-94 F in the late afternoon, but cooling to 55 F by 3:00 AM. I usually throw open the windows early in the morning to cool the house to 70 F then shut the windows when the outside temp hits 70. By 4:00 PM the inside temp usually hits 73 and I programmed the AC to come on. The outside temp might be 90 F but the relative humidity is a lowly 15%. There is almost a 20 F difference between inside and outside temps during the late afternoon. I find if I try to set the inside temp lower, to say to 70 F I might get some icing across the condenser coils. Would this be normal? Also, once the outside temp is below 73 I find I might get icing if I tried to get the inside temp to lower than 70 F. I’m wondering if I should have the charge pressure checked. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Assume the fins are clean … but yes, if a tech has not put gauges on it in a while … it’s good to do that.
AC is more critical for us … so we do contracts to have it done start of every summer.

There are units out there that have a sleep mode which slowly raises the temperature over a couple or so hours. Also look for ones with a timer so you can tell the unit to turn off at a certain time.

Back