Center for Quality Assurance CQA now does licensing for NLGI HPM grease

Interesting. I looked at their flyer briefly, and it’s not immediately clear to me if this makes GC and LB obsolete. I would think potentially yes, but since it is chemistry non-specific, how does it deal, say, with a high moly chassis grease or something, versus something else?

Interesting. I looked at their flyer briefly, and it’s not immediately clear to me if this makes GC and LB obsolete. I would think potentially yes, but since it is chemistry non-specific, how does it deal, say, with a high moly chassis grease or something, versus something else?
The HPM standard does not supersede GC and LB. HPM are industrial grease standards. GC and LB are automotive. HPM is a core standard. There are several variants which are HPM+WR (water resistant), HPM+CR (saltwater corrosion resistant), HPM+HL (high load) and HPM+LT (low temperature). NLGI is also working on an HPM+HT (high temperature) standard. These are chemistry neutral performance standards. This means that thickener and fluid type are not specified. This means that compatibility becomes an essential consideration.

Back