[censored] is Marvels Mystey Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
is PT Barnum milking snakes again?

thailand_25.jpg

Originally Posted By: Steelhead
is PT Barnum milking snakes again?

thailand_25.jpg

Perhaps, but not the MMO snake, I've always had good luck with it.
thumbsup2.gif
cheers3.gif

If you had been here a few years ago, this same exact forum was full of people who had used it and swear by it. They saw good results. I do too. I think the makeup of this forum has changed. I don't think MMO has changed in decades.

I use it in my car all the time, i have def seen a increase in my fuel mileage, it went from about 24 to about 27 mpg. On the other hand, in my truck, there was no change in my mileage at all.

Originally Posted By: crw
If you had been here a few years ago, this same exact forum was full of people who had used it and swear by it. They saw good results. I do too. I think the makeup of this forum has changed. I don't think MMO has changed in decades.

+1 I think a lot of product bashing in general is by people who never used a product. Maybe they heard about it through the grapevine, or some other way, but have no first hand experience with it. MMO is one of those products that gets trashed for that reason, along with a few others. I've used it for a long time, and have been very pleased with the results. My father has used it for decades. I have also used other products and have been happy with them too. It seems that I keep going back to MMO though.

AD

Cummins, CAT nor International recommend or approve of the use of MMO in their engines.

Ford, GM, Ferrari, Chrysler, Honda nor Toyota recommend or approve of the use of MMO in their engines.

try and get an engine on warranty replaced that has had MMO in it.

Try and get an engine replaced that has any additive in it, when a mfg specs not to use additives. Or try a non-approved lube. It doesn't necessarily mean a product is no good, just look at all the success stories with some of the more popular non-approved oils, or additives mentioned on this board. YMMV

Try and get engine warranty work when you've done nothing, Steelhead
21.gif

I've added half gallons of the stuff to fuel to show what didn't happen. If used at a sensible treat rate, what can possibly go wrong with an engine? What would one expect to see degraded that could be attributed to MMO?

I have used it in gas in probably a half dozen cars. I used to use it almost every fill up when I drove a 1983 Ford LTD with a 2 barrel carb. It seemed to run better with it and prevented carb issues.

I haven't run it in awhile, but I did just give a quart to a friend who is slowly but surely rebuilding a 20 passenger bus one weekend at a time. I spoke with him a week ago and it seems to have more pickup and idles a little better.

I will probably use it again.

Well, I don't know about warranties, I don't pay for them. I've also NEVER lost an engine, even though most of my engines are quite old.

He he, on my 1975 BMW, soon after acquiring it I added some MMO to the gas. Then.......... it must have cleaned out some crud in the carb because a metal tube in the carb actually fell out while driving... it was apparently held in place only by varnish. It was a simple repair.

Some folks look at that and see that MMO is doing what it should. Others look at it and freak out that there was a problem while using the product. Can't please everyone!

My biggest gripe with posts like this are the people who have never tried a product and bash it. I'm still waiting to hear from someone who has lost an engine due to MMO, first hand. Not that they heard about it from someone else, or a friend of a friends cousin, uncle, or Aunt Tilly.
21.gif

Like Eric Smith, I've used it in gas at half the recommended treat rate ... about every other tankful. Mileage for 3 tankfuls in a row went up almost 5% over the previous series of tankfuls. After that initial test is when I went to every other tankful as a precaution against fouling any emissions equipment.

Folks, you need to get over manufacturer's recommendations when it comes to gas and oil additives. They NEVER recommend ANY of these things. There are some bad ones out there and since they can't bother to test them all and separate the good from the bad, they recommend you use none at all. It's total CYA.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace

Folks, you need to get over manufacturer's recommendations when it comes to gas and oil additives. They NEVER recommend ANY of these things. There are some bad ones out there and since they can't bother to test them all and separate the good from the bad, they recommend you use none at all. It's total CYA.

Very well said!!!!!!!!!!!

Question the motives of anyone that berates a product without evidence. When none is provided, the answer becomes clear.

Originally Posted By: Vizzy
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Why is this under cooling systems and fluids anyway?
54.gif

Originally Posted By: Vizzy
You are right. It IS snake oil. As long as you do regular oil changes with a quality oil with the correct specifications you will have a perfectly operating engine with little wear.

In some cases this stuff could damage your engine, related components , tranny and/ or void your warranty.

DO NOT USE THIS STUFF!!!!!!!!!!

And what's your proof?

Marvel MYSTERY oil????

Most major mfr's recommend that you NOT use additives in engine oil, stating that it could harm components and/or VOID your manufacturers warranty.

That's all the proof I need.

LOL Have you ever had your car serviced at a dealership? There are many additives about such as B&G. But there are also manufacturer labeled additives as well. The major OEMs don't seem to have much of a problem with their dealership service dept's recommending various additives...

It has more to do with testing than with a blanket hatred of all additives. While I agree that properly maintained engines should not need additives as motor oil is chocked full of them, I do believe that MMO is an effective cleaner that may penetrate and dissolve certain deposits as a gentle flush in previously abused engines and I have yet to see someone state that it did any harm to their engine when used properly. I don't think I could ever substitute a quart of oil for a whole OCI, but I believe I've had good luck adding half a quart for the last 300-500 miles of an OCI. The previous oil change I did, I added it to PP 5W-30 for that term, then cut open the filter after the change and found bits of sludge and other debris in the Pureone pleats. Was it the MMO? Or was it the Pennzoil Platinum that also claims cleaning ability? I can't say for certain. But it certainly didn't hurt anything...

I'm on my 6th tank of gas with MMO and I must say it is making the engine/injectors very quiet and I have seen slight mileage gains but nothing that I can really say MMO did.

I think I'm going to use MMO for one fill-up, then use my regular additive for the other fill-up and alternate between the two.

The only good thing I see from MMO is just the spark plug become very clean, but I do not really see real any MPG improvement or ping reduction.

The PEA cleaner I used reduce the ping, and increase the acceleration, but for some cleaner the effect does not last long.
In my area the only gas that helps to maintain the engine performance slightly longer, only the chevron with techron.

I have used it religiously for years in everything with a motor
in it. Iuse it only in the fuel and if you ever saw an engine
apart that it has been used in you wouldn't ask why.
I use 8oz per 10 to 14 gallons and fuel econmy is fine.
I have never had a puel pump or fuel injector problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back