[censored] is Marvels Mystey Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
54.gif

Originally Posted By: kirknbr
[censored] is Marvels Mystey Oil (MMO) and why do people add it everything blinldly?

Marvel's Mystey oil is a mysterious spray lubricant, specifically tailored to the needs of superheroes like Iron Man.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
Marvel Mystery Oil defeated the Iron Curtain and seduced the Iron Maiden.

Didn't Iron Butterfly use it on their wings in the late 60's early 70's?

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Personally, I think it's a snake oil. .
21.gif

You are right. It IS snake oil. As long as you do regular oil changes with a quality oil with the correct specifications you will have a perfectly operating engine with little wear.

In some cases this stuff could damage your engine, related components , tranny and/ or void your warranty.

DO NOT USE THIS STUFF!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure what this means any thing because of the many variables involved.

I had added some MMO in a new gallon of mineral spirits to give it color for a project I was working on. I used around half of the gallon of mineral spirits and MMO mix and set the remainder in a cabinet in the back of the garage. A few months later I needed some mineral spirits to clean out a paintbrush so I pulled out the semi clear gallon jug with the leftover MS/MMO mix.

To my surprise the mineral spirits looked clear and there were small dark red flakes in the bottom of the jug. When I shook the jug the flakes just swirled around kind of like a snow globe.
I have no idea if MMO will fall out of solution in a gas tank but I will not take the chance. I promptly threw away the remaining MMO that was left over.

Why is this under cooling systems and fluids anyway?
54.gif

Originally Posted By: Vizzy
You are right. It IS snake oil. As long as you do regular oil changes with a quality oil with the correct specifications you will have a perfectly operating engine with little wear.

In some cases this stuff could damage your engine, related components , tranny and/ or void your warranty.

And what's your proof?

Great responses and funny too. I don't believe it does anything good at all but it has the possibility to harm your emissions system and change your additive package in your oil. I will not add anything to my oil. (Especially if it has the word mystery any where on it) If it needs "improving" I will change the oil I am using. As for cleaning my engine - With regular timely oil changes with a quality oil takes care of that. I will use a filter cart with beta 3/200 filters and a water removing filters from time to time just for grins and giggles. I will send of a sample of oil for wear debris sometimes to trend engine wear but I really have no concern about the condition of the oil. It's been drained and headed for the recycle drum. The cost of an oil sample $20~$30 cost of new oil $20~$30. If your sample comes back and show you need to change your oil.... well you just spent an extra $20~$30 bucks for nothing. Particle counts, FDR lrg&sml, ICP, and ferrograms. I use heat or chemicals to identify the particles on the ferrograms.
Oh my - I've started to ramble on - sorry bout that. I see that I have mistakenly started this in the wrong section. Hey it said additives. I did not look further down the list to find oil additives. Opps.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Why is this under cooling systems and fluids anyway?
54.gif

Originally Posted By: Vizzy

And what's your proof?

Marvel MYSTERY oil????

Most major mfr's recommend that you NOT use additives in engine oil, stating that it could harm components and/or VOID your manufacturers warranty.

That's all the proof I need.

I add 3-4 ounces for every 10 galloms of fuel in my F250. When I bought the truck, the fuel gauge was very inaccurate, often taking days to rise off of empty to full. MMO did cure that with a couple of doses. The gauge rises normally after a fill up now. Everyone's experience will be different.. if it works for you, fine. I have a friend that used only 10-40 Pennzoil and 1 quart of MMO in a Chevette with the 4 cylinder diesel. It had 330,000 on it when it died. Could it have done that on oil only? Probably, but it did it with an MMO mix, and it worked for him. I won't question it. YMMV.

I just started using MMO in my fuel with every fill-up. Hadn't used for years and wanted to give it another try.

I have to say it makes my injectors and engine very quiet and acceleration more smooth.

I made sure I ran 10 tanks of just regular gasoline in between additives so that I would get an honest perception. I'm also keeping track of the mileage and so far it looks good. I will post here when my test is complete.

I didn't think that it was as good, because according to the MSDS there is nothing more than a little bit of Zinc in the stuff.

grin2.gif

Thats all I use it for is in the gas. I don't use 4 ounces per 10, I use 4 ounces per 20. Was having really bad MPG problems(not from the MMO as I just started to use it). Replaced PCV and Fuel filter and things look better but doing baby does to see as some engines don't like 4 per 10.

In my experience you can only use 4 oz per fillup twice. After that mileage takes a dump and the engine seems to be in a fog. 4 vehicles I've noticed this. I usually run it every other fillup if I think of it. Why is this here?

Originally Posted By: bigjohann
How do they get oil from a snake?

Does it hurt the snake?

I read they milk the snake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back