Cell Phone Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been using the prepaid Alltel Plan for quite a while. In our area Alltel will soon become part of AT&T.

Am looking at the prepaid plan that T Mobile has.

I just use the phone some mainly for travel and do not do text messaging, etc.

Has anyone had any experience with them?

I haven't used T Mobile's but am satisfied with http://www.ecallplus.com/

We get Locus Mobile which uses AT&T's network(GSM) and Locus Platinum which uses Verizon's network(CDMA). Both start at $10/month.

We've had their services for about 4 years with no problems.

We travel alot and find that between ATT's and Verizon's networks, at least one of our phones will work most places.

A plus with Locus Mobile is that it uses unlocked GSM phones so you can get a SIM card in most any country you visit and make reasonable priced calls there. That does take a 3 or 4 band GSM phone, but they can be had inexpensively.

Last edited:
Mine is T-Mobile prepaid phone. I think it costs about 10c a minute for a Gold status - basically, purchasing $100 worth of minutes makes you a Gold status, gives you 15% extra minutes that do not expire for a year. The smaller recharge amounts have quicker expiration dates.

Overall, I am happy with the service and the costs. Sometimes they have free phone with a free $25 recharge cards on sale online. That's how I recharge my phone for free and end up with a spare cell phone. I think I have a couple of them still in a drawer somewhere.

I have Sprint. All my calls are crystal clear. I`d avoid Verizon at all cost! I had a landline with them and they`re service and customer service was totally unaceptable.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I have Sprint. All my calls are crystal clear. I`d avoid Verizon at all cost! I had a landline with them and they`re service and customer service was totally unaceptable.

That's the beauty of getting a pay ahead plan from a 3rd party. Locus' customer service is better than ATT's or Verizon's even though I use their networks. We have the one phone on Verizon's network because ATT's coverage in the boondocks isn't as good as Verizons. Sprint's coverage generally draws a hard vacuum unless you stay in their somewhat limited coverage area.

Have AT&T for 8 years and so far so good. IMO their roll over plan is a great insurance if you don't use your phone too much, but don't want to overpay every month for an unforeseeable emergency that could ring you up 1000 extra minutes in one month.

The connection really depends on your local area, regardless of the network. There were news that CDMA would obsolete when 4G arrive due to bandwidth density/cost issue and when that happens in about 2 years, Verizon will probably be forced to switch to the same equipment as AT&T/Tmobile.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

have to disagree about Verizon. I've had them for about 9 years and never had a problem. coverage is fantastic. I have friends w/ AT&T and some others, and they always have issues w/ dropped calls, etc, but I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back