CCleaner 4.45

Status
Not open for further replies.
The How-To-Geek website/blog has just come out and said they no longer recommend CCleaner and do not recommend anyone upgrade to CCleaner 4.45. It stays running in the background and re-enables itself if you shut it down. They feel the native tools in Windows 7 and 10 do a fine job.

Last edited:
I always told that particularly since Windows 8.1 these softwares were useless most of the time. And I work in the field for a living.

Is the free version of CCleaner also in the toilet?

I'm using CCleaner free version 5.43 so will just run that forever I guess. I only use CCleaner to clean the registry anyway. I typically use the Windows "Disk Cleanup" tool to clean temp files, cookies, etc.

I will say this about CC cleaner....It does clean junk files in places that Disk Cleanup doesn't. It also cleans areas that Bleach Bit doesn't.

Having said that, disk cleanup and bleachbit are more than adequate without CCcleaner.

I figured this out on my own after CCleaner was nagging me in a Windows 10 install. Ditched it after that except for XP laptop I use for Word files. The trend is my favorite utilities now have too many strings attached. "Something for nothing, no way" is a saying that seems to apply.

I feel like all of these programs are scams, on my W10 machines I just use the built in Windows Defender and I've never had an issue.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I feel like all of these programs are scams, on my W10 machines I just use the built in Windows Defender and I've never had an issue.

^^^^ Exactly ^^^^ They are the modern day version of "Snake Oil" remember people who used to add stuff to their motor oil? Its the same thing.

In fact, many of these programs cause more problems on the computer then not...

and ... in the case of CC cleaner, it WAS used in a hacking scandal just last year, people pay for this garbage, amazing how modern day marketing gets in peoples minds.

CC Cleaner Breach - Click

More - Click

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Superflan
I always told that particularly since Windows 8.1 these softwares were useless most of the time. And I work in the field for a living.

I've used CCleaner before and I feel it's useless since Windows XP.

10 or 15 years ago when computers were slow, temporary files might have slowed computers down, but that's not the case anymore.

The registry scanned was somewhat useful to remove old unused keys, but since Windows 7 I hardly had any registry problems.

While what they say is probably technically true in that article, that's been the MO of hundreds of Windows utilities for the past twenty years; that is, being difficult to disable at startup, running in the tray after the close button is hit, not having an exit option from the tray, sending tracking information to home base....

I'm still trying to find the older version of CCleaner that'll work on my Commodore 64.

Any help would be appreciated.

grin.gif

If you use filehippo to download various anti virus this or that, it comes attachment free, meaning you only get the exact things you are downloading and nothing else.
Filehippo is the best for this, imo.

Also, with Ccleaner and their "Tools" feature, this is one of the better ways to delete/uninstall things from your computer as it removes "everything" not just the icon.

Personally, since it has never caused me any grieve whatsoever, I will continue to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back