CBC Marketplace OCI video

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://youtu.be/TUS528M1ke0

It would appear that the BITOG faithful have finally infiltrated CBC and shown them the light. I wish they would have focused less on time based OCIs but the dealerships neglected to mention the need for short OCIs on cars with DI. They really could have shed some light on the need for short OCIs on certain modern cars.

Gas station clips filmed in my home and native land: Scarborough, Ontario @ Danforth + Warden.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

It would appear that the BITOG faithful have finally infiltrated CBC and shown them the light. I wish they would have focused less on time based OCIs but the dealerships neglected to mention the need for short OCIs on cars with DI. They really could have shed some light on the need for short OCIs on certain modern cars.

Gas station clips filmed in my home and native land: Scarborough, Ontario @ Danforth + Warden.

M1 has not modified their time or mileage for OCIs because of DI engines.

Last edited:
Do all cars take synthetic now?

Also, harsh winters will beat down oil harder. I go 15k in the summer but 10k in the winter. And then there's city vs highway driving (or other severe service) to consider as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

M1 has not modified their time or mileage for OCIs because of DI engines.

I read on here at some point (no ciation) that Subaru shortened the OCI on some of their cars, I can only assume the turbo DI variants. I have read numerous posts about LSPI and how oils (dexos 2 I think) are being designed to combat it.

I have read numerous accounts of optimistic OCIs being a factor in the GM 3.6 L cam chains wearing out prematurely.

I read these boards often and am familiar with both of these topics despite owning an aging heap. CBC can consult some fancy expert who appears to wrench out of his garage instead of hoping on good ol' BITOG and learing a thing or two.

Tig1 you know full well Mobil 1 does not set oci perameters for vehicles. It is the OEMs that do that. So even with Mobil 1 EP one should follow what's in the owners manual if it is still under warranty. And Mobil 1 themselves state as much in their PDS.

Not too say that M1 is not very, very good oil. It absolutely is. I'd run Mobil 1 EP 0w20 in a newer model Nissan Altima 3.5 if I had one.

this is why we are all over the place, old mechanics vs new mechanics, oil companies vs car manufactures

one should pick a course and stay the course; if you want keep the car in the longer run, you wanna do short OCI, if you don't care keep your extended OCI

https://youtu.be/TUS528M1ke0 It would appear that the BITOG faithful have finally infiltrated CBC and shown them the light. I wish they would have focused less on time based OCIs but the dealerships neglected to mention the need for short OCIs on cars with DI. They really could have shed some light on the need for short OCIs on certain modern cars.

I saw the program and it was made by people that know nothing about lubrication! The slant was that dealers suggest more frequent OCIs than necessary. The show didn't take into account, type of oil, type of driving, ambient factors etc It said that what's written in the manual is the ABSOLUTE TRUTH. That may have been the case many years ago, but now all manufacturers are the same, when they say "Lifetime" they mean the life of the warranty, that's all they care about, to get through the warranty without any claims. They failed to check how the same engine in other countries has much shorter OCI than here in North America where we are notorious for our reluctance to spend on maintenance & premium gas. The manual is a compromise between what's necessary and what the marketing dept needs to sell more vehicles. It was a great disservice to the watching public.

Last edited:
As much as I am a viewer and listener of CBC, Marketplace dusts this business off at least once a year. Anyone who watches the program and has never even driven a vehicle is well aware of this issue and CBC's annual windmill tilt. Now, I do understand that they claim to want to educate the public and put pressure on scammers, but they've been at this topic since before I could drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back