Cause of the dash/engine rattle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's easier said than done, Vikas. You can't see them from the waiting area, and i had to leave my car that day and pick it up anyway, as I had to run some errands.

Going over to the work area and watching them would be pretty awkward in that place I think...

But I really wish i could.

I don't go anywhere (sans emergencies as in car broke down on interstate 500 miles from home, even then...) that I can't watch them while they work on the car. Of course, I'm not waiting for them to screw up so I can pounce either. I'll also do something like take breakfast (i.e. biscuits) sometimes, etc. However, it's very rare for me to take a vehicle somewhere other than to have new tires installed along with an alignment.

With that said, I'm glad that you found the source of your rattle & it seems to be (somewhat) mundane.

Actually leaving the vehicle there was not usual for me, either. But the bigger problem would be, even if I did stay, the physical set up of the place - I mean you really would have to go out of the waiting area, around the shop to the back to get into the work area and i have never seen anyone other than the empolyees going into that section of the building...but i guess they can't physically prevent you from doing it...
I might just take a walk that way next time...

Then again, i also don't want to make a big(ger) deal out of this..with my limited experience there, this might be a rare occurance that may never repeat...

Quote:
it's very rare for me to take a vehicle somewhere other than to have new tires installed along with an alignment

Other than what / where?

Most places will *prevent* you from entering the work area. The reason given is "for the insurance purposes". That is why I too stay with places which let me enter the work area.

Even though I am watching the oil change being done, I still pop the hood and peek underneath when the car is pulled out and the key is handed to me. The mechanic gets amused but he always gets a fiver stuffed in his hand, so he tolerates me :)

- Vikas

I have a nice collection of tools that have been left on my property or in/on my car. Shovel, rake, dead-blow mallet, various screwdrivers, several specialty tools, etc. I figure that I paid handsomely for them.

97tbird,

I meant to add that I wouldn't stop going to a place for this mistake. It merely throws up a red flag to me.

To answer your question, I was saying that I rarely take my vehicles to any shop other than to get new tires put on & an alignment done; most other work I do myself. However, I still watch & usually put the tires back on along with the lug nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back