Cause of build up of white milky substance in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pitbull
Several members of the Land Cruiser forum have noticed white milky substance in there oil fill cap. Normally see it with cold temperatures short trips but others don’t see this happening. typically it’s 0W 20 synthetic any thoughts would be appreciated

All cars do this.

Just take it for a long highway drive and it will be gone.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
With appropriate precautions against dirt ingress, you could take your oil filler cap (and, optionally, the dipstick) out at the end of a run and put them somewhere you'll see them when you use the vehicle again. (e.g. / i.e. the dashboard). That should help.

It's a pain to have to do this but I do it and it works. As I sit here my motorcycle is in the garage with it's dipstick unscrewed leaving a 1" hole. If I forget to screw it in again the noise on start up is all the reminder I need to screw it back in again.

If the oil fill hole is elevated 2-4 inches above to cam cover it's more likely to develop this issue.

Originally Posted By: tig1
If the oil fill hole is elevated 2-4 inches above to cam cover it's more likely to develop this issue.

As described, that doesn't sound like an issue (as in problem). If the oil fill hole is elevated 2-4 inches above the cam cover, the warm moist air rises and condenses there, where you can see it and wipe it off.

(If the oil cap isn't there, it'll vent to atmosphere, as suggested above.)

If the oil fill hole isn't elevated 2-4 inches above the cam cover the vapour will condense under the cam cover, where you won't see it, where it can drip on the cams, and where it is more likely to be re mixed with the oil when the engine next starts.

So this "issue" seems to be a benefit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back