Cattlemens Steakhouse

After a couple of hours of driving a winding mountain roads in the afternoon, I got a little hungry. I stopped at a Cattlemens Steakhouse in Livermore and met up with a friend. I almost ordered the Sheriff, a 2 lbs sirloin but came to my senses and went with a more manageable ribeye with baked potato instead. I also had Brussels sprouts with onions, bell peppers, parmesan and balsamic vinegar, and a salad. My compadre decided to have a deep-fried apple pie with ice cream and whipped cream for dessert. I saved his life by using some of the ice cream and most of the whipped cream to make myself an impromptu affogato. I did not touch the deep-fried apple pie. I suspect that AM is making very big eyes right now.

We had two Cattlemens Steakhouse locations close here over 10 years ago. I miss them as now we just have other nation chains to pick from like Outback, and Texas Roadhouse. I am assuming the one that you ate at was part of the national chain?

Went to Cattleman's outside of El Paso a few years back.

IMG_20190320_202154.jpg

I clicked the title thinking you took quite the road trip and stopped at the original Cattlemen's Steakhouse. I guess it never dawned on me that there were imposters...

Looks like a great meal though!
It's an imposter chain and they managed to avoid a trademark violation. The full name of the chain is Cattlemens California Steakhouse. 😁

Last edited:
We had two Cattlemens Steakhouse locations close here over 10 years ago. I miss them as now we just have other nation chains to pick from like Outback, and Texas Roadhouse. I am assuming the one that you ate at was part of the national chain?
There are a handful of Cattlemens Steakhouses in the Bay Area. I don't believe they are affiliated with similarly named and misspelled outfits outside California. We do have several Texas Roadhouses. No more barrels of peanuts thanks to the plague!

After a couple of hours of driving a winding mountain roads in the afternoon, I got a little hungry. I stopped at a Cattlemens Steakhouse in Livermore and met up with a friend. I almost ordered the Sheriff, a 2 lbs sirloin but came to my senses and went with a more manageable ribeye with baked potato instead. I also had Brussels sprouts with onions, bell peppers, parmesan and balsamic vinegar, and a salad. My compadre decided to have a deep-fried apple pie with ice cream and whipped cream for dessert. I saved his life by using some of the ice cream and most of the whipped cream to make myself an impromptu affogato. I did not touch the deep-fried apple pie. I suspect that AM is making very big eyes right now.

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about!

I clicked the title thinking you took quite the road trip and stopped at the original Cattlemen's Steakhouse. I guess it never dawned on me that there were imposters...

Looks like a great meal though!

It's a small chain in Northern California. It's like a lot of trademark cases where regional operators can inadvertently or even intentionally use a name that's similar or identical to one somewhere else. But possession is 9/10th of the law, so using the trademark (with or without registration) regionally is important. It's why Chevron (as well as few other regional Standard Oil companies) still operates a few "Standard" stations here or there.

I looked up the trademark and there are over 100 listings in the USPTO database for anything called "Cattlemens" - and the search engine actually looks for similar words like "cattleman". One is actually a dead/abandoned one for "CATTLEMAN'S STEAKHOUSE & SALOON "HOME OF THE BIG TEXAN". I could see how that would be problematic given that there's a certain restaurant in Amarillo. I can't find any live trademark for a restaurant with a similar name in the USPTO database, but there could be a state registration somewhere, although those aren't as enforceable nationally as a federal registration.

Heck - we've got a small chain called Buckhorn Grill that serves various grilled meats. They're an offshoot of a restaurant called Buckhorn Steakhouse in Winters, California. But I suppose it gets confused with Buckhorn Exchange in Denver.

Back