Catrol GTX, 5,483 miles, 2007 GMC Acadia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the results from my UOA.
april2009oilanalysis.jpg

The oil was in service over the winter since the other analysis listed on the page, about 10 months. I did do a bottle of Regane in the tank just before the UOA and this was also the first change after installing a Fumoto valve.

What do you think about the high iron? I just changed to synthetic (QTorque) with a NAPA Gold filter. Change at the same interval and send another UOA or wait a few changes at about the same interval and resample?

Most UOA's that I have come across for acadias have something concerning in them. I myself have an '08, and am going to get one done here in about another 1,000 miles.

I am a little concerned with the location of the oil filter (right next to the exhaust manifold)

Originally Posted By: tmundal
Most UOA's that I have come across for acadias have something concerning in them. I myself have an '08, and am going to get one done here in about another 1,000 miles.

I am a little concerned with the location of the oil filter (right next to the exhaust manifold)
So do Subaru, they wrap the filter with manifold and cats....
smirk2.gif

With the OP. I'd take the OCI down to 3k until you find out what the heck is happening.

No way I'd go longer.

Just me... I've had excellet UOAs with GTX 5w-30.

Take care, Bill

PS: Also next time re size your photo to 800x600!

Bill's right. Just run the current fill 3k,then dump it. Then repeat. Don't put any more foreign objects in your new car. You could uoa on the third fill.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
So do Subaru, they wrap the filter with manifold and cats....
smirk2.gif

Not on the 6 cylinder. Loads of room around the filter on those.

Isn't this a model that requires GM4718M spec oil? If so, you didn't put that in this time. That may be part of the reason if this is enduring high temperatures. Try Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 next time to see what happens.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
Isn't this a model that requires GM4718M spec oil?

No or probably no.

I just checked the owners manual for the 09 MY and GM states:

Use only an oil that meets GM Standard GM6094M.

So very likely the earlier 07 edition wouldn't be more restrictive.

Last edited:
Glad to see another Acadia owner having their oil sampled. It is interesting to see that this engine is beating up the oil.

Our Acadia has about 3k more to go before another sample will be taken. At current driving it should be some time this summer.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Originally Posted By: Nyquist
Isn't this a model that requires GM4718M spec oil?

No or probably no.

I just checked the owners manual for the 09 MY and GM states:

Use only an oil that meets GM Standard GM6094M.

So very likely the earlier 07 edition wouldn't be more restrictive.

Thanks for clarifying. Good to get the correct info out there.

Originally Posted By: MedicRxDoc
What do you think about the high iron? I just changed to synthetic (QTorque) with a NAPA Gold filter. Change at the same interval and send another UOA or wait a few changes at about the same interval and resample?

It is very unusual to see a huge spike in iron like that between consecutive OCIs without huge dirt or coolant ingestion. No other wear metals spiked along with the iron. I don't know "what happened"
but something certainly did. Make sure to follow the maintenance requirements for the engine warranty in case something fails later on...not that I predict that but it is possible.

I'd definitely do a UOA on the oil you just put in. If it is much improved, you can breath easy. If not, go into problem-solve mode.

Originally Posted By: JAG
but something certainly did. Make sure to follow the maintenance requirements for the engine warranty in case something fails later on.

I'd definitely do a UOA on the oil you just put in. If it is much improved, you can breath easy. If not, go into problem-solve mode.

Hypothetically speaking of course but at what point would one make contact with the dealer/GM and present the UOAs?

I personally would be pro-active and if next UOA is similar, start talking to the dealer and/or GM themselves.
We can all count on being blown-off by dealers and automakers when it comes to presenting foul-looking UOAs to them,
so more time to annoy them with the issue, the more effect it will have. Also, time is of the essence because the warranty only lasts so long.

I personally would be pro-active and if next UOA is similar, start talking to the dealer and/or GM themselves.
We can all count on being blown-off by dealers and automakers when it comes to presenting foul-looking UOAs to them,
so more time to annoy them with the issue, the more effect it will have. Also, time is of the essence because the warranty only lasts so long.

+1.

One UOA does not make a case.

A few show a problem.

What engine do these have in them?

I have noticed that many of these newer engines have higher Copper numbers? I wonder why?

If your engine stops running and/or you see chunks coming out of your oil pan, then you have a problem.

Otherwise, just keep driving and don't worry about what the UOA says unless there's reference to coolant or excess fuel.

The viscosity was 5w30.

The OLM was at only 47%.

Correct 21Rouge, it specs GM6094M which was labeled on the GTX bottle. I do believe that the Caddy with this engine does spec the GM4718M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back