Cathay Pacific testing out single pilot in cockpit for long haul flights

So I suppose the idea is that one pilot is in the cockpit while the other is taking a rest break unless called to action. They say that it will include a health monitoring system to alert the other pilot if there’s a problem.

I was under the impression that there are generally two members of the crew (may include a flight attendant) in the cockpit at all times - for when one takes a potty break with a two pilot crew. I guess a non-pilot can do things like open the locked cockpit door or alert the other pilot in case of emergency.

I’ve been on long flights where a complete second set of pilots walked in wearing their uniforms. I thought that was the norm, but found there are three pilot crews allowed for certain flight times. The idea of two pilots for a long flight like HKG-SFO seems a bit scary.

They can test all they want but regulations still exist that require a minimum of personnel in the cockpit at all times. I don’t think CP can override that.

They can test all they want but regulations still exist that require a minimum of personnel in the cockpit at all times. I don’t think CP can override that.

I believe that’s the idea. They’ll need the cooperation of every country where this might be used. This is really supposed to be a complete systemic certification like ETOPS.

I'm not a pilot but I am interested in air crashes and pretty much every kind of industrial accident.

One of my neighbours was a pilot for a major airline. We talked about the tragic death of the owner and several top executives of a local engineering company in an airplane crash where the pilot was the owner of the company. It seems the aircraft lost a gyroscope while flying in heavy cloud with a low ceiling and the pilot basically followed the gyro around in tight circles until they crashed. My neighbour suspected the problem was having a single pilot who hadn't done much simulation work. The failed gyro is apparently a common simulation.

This airline always does their simulations with a pilot and first officer. In one of their simulations, the pilot who was flying didn't catch on to what was happening (a failed gyro) and started to fly around in tight circles and my neighbour (as the first officer) pointed out the problem and avoided a crash. The pilot who had been flying was shocked that he hadn't caught onto the problem. In real life, without a second pilot, he would have crashed.

In dangerous situations another pair of eyes, another brain, and someone to do things other than fly the aircraft is what is needed. How often would you need to avoid a crash to make having a second pilot worthwhile?

I wouldn't fly on an airline that had only one pilot on long haul flights.

Guess they already forgot about Germanwings Flight 9525
If you have a pilot who's bent on suicide and taking everyone on the airplane and maybe some people on the ground with him, it's a tough thing to stop him.

However, homicidal/suicidal pilots have been stopped before (FedEx Flight 705).

They must also be forgetting that there are times when checks and balances are necessary to prevent a disaster. This is begging for trouble.
You mean like EgyptAir Flight 990 when the first officer committed suicide? Of course having a second pilot didn't help when it was the second pilot who wanted to commit suicide.

If you have a pilot who's bent on suicide and taking everyone on the airplane and maybe some people on the ground with him, it's a tough thing to stop him.

However, homicidal/suicidal pilots have been stopped before (FedEx Flight 705).
And hence why it is now required to have two people in the cockpit at any one time if one has to leave the cockpit for RR break or what not, be it a flight attendant or another officer, in almost all airlines, to prevent just such an attack.

cx is in serious economic trouble due to lockdown. until 2020 i rode cx transpacific 3x/yr. i won’t fly commercial in a one pilot setup.

I fly commercial … but we also charter jets, turbo props, and rotary wing.
Here is a list of single pilot aircraft that I’m allowed to ride in:

The most important safety system on any commercial aircraft is the two well-trained, experienced, and adequately rested pilots on the flight deck.

This idea might pass regulatory muster for cargo, but it shouldn’t.

It’s a terrible attempt at cutting safety to cut cost.

The most important safety system on any commercial aircraft is the two well-trained, experienced, and adequately rested pilots on the flight deck.

This idea might pass regulatory muster for cargo, but it shouldn’t.

It’s a terrible attempt at cutting safety to cut cost.
Agree cargo carriers should not do this either … large plane and significant fuel load … and many take-off and land in major population centers … +Pilot Lives Matter

Back