Catching Rear Brakes on 98 Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody,

My Tahoe has been exhibiting some strange braking characteristics for the last few months. When coming to a sudden stop, the rear brakes squeak/grab depending on how hard you stop, and then when you let off and hit the gas, you feel the brakes releasing. I took it to my local brake shop to have the front pads and rotors replaced, and mentioned the rear problem. They said that the rear drums were clean and dry, and that for a vehicle with 271k miles, it stopped fine. Which was good enough for them, but not for me. Does anybody have an idea what this problem could be?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Look for grooves worn into the backing plates from the shoes. The grooves will not let the shoes retract like they should.

Good possibility with 271K.......replacing the backing plates will not be dirt cheap, but if it is the problem will give more consistent braking.

You could do a good cleaning and use brake grease on all moving parts including the adjusters. That's a cheap fix and may help.

I dunno. I guess under drum brake parts?
banana2.gif

I believe that replacing them requires that you remove the axle shafts.

I dunno. I guess under drum brake parts?
banana2.gif

I believe that replacing them requires that you remove the axle shafts.

Yes, you definitely have to remove the axle shafts to change the backing plates. I just failed NYS inspection because the plates were rusted out on my Trailblazer. Doing the job on Wednesday and I figured I may as well replace the axle seals too.

Brake fluid or axle fluid will actually make drum brakes grab and stick, but this is not your case.
Like mentioned, you have worn and grooved backing plates.
There are raised tabs that the shoes ride on.
Sometimes they can be filed, welded to build them up and filed, and greased in any event.
Of course a new backing plate is always an option.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I have seem split backing plate kits before that don't require the axles being pulled. Can't remember where I saw this or what applications were covered?
ya but you gotta get the old ones off first. Might be a problem w/o a torch or die grinder.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I have seem split backing plate kits before that don't require the axles being pulled. Can't remember where I saw this or what applications were covered?
ya but you gotta get the old ones off first. Might be a problem w/o a torch or die grinder.

Good point......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back