Catch Can on the Caravan (250km)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's good info. IMO That alone for anyone trying to make an informed decision about using one would scrap this idea.
Moving it from one place to another doesn't do much when the engine is off and a deep freeze happens.

Originally Posted by Trav
That's good info. IMO That alone for anyone trying to make an informed decision about using one would scrap this idea.
Moving it from one place to another doesn't do much when the engine is off and a deep freeze happens.

I'm hoping if it's kept warm there will be more oil than moisture so it will only condense the one liquid versus the other... It's too darn cold at the moment to mess with it so I took it off for now. On a more milder day I will play with it some more.

Originally Posted by Trav

I will be relaying this info to a friend who is considering one. Risk vs. reward, at least for me isn't worth it. What my friend decides to do might be another story. Honestly I was a bit surprised it froze. I thought chemically the junk it caught wouldn't freeze due to the additives from the oil itself that deal with condensation thoroughly mixing with the water vapors would stop it from freezing. I was wrong.

The junk that did freeze had a really low freezing point it would seem because the milder temperatures didn't freeze it in the can or out of the can in the plastic bottle around the hovering temperatures of 32F (0 Celcius) for the couple of days it was stored at this, it took a couple of days around -18c (about 0F) to finally freeze what was in the can / plastic collection bottle.

There was nothing frozen in the hoses, just in the can so I think it's the metal of the can in the cold area under the hood is why it is freezing. If I keep the hoses short and keep the can where the head is, it should remain warm enough for this not to happen unless the vehicle is sitting for a while in cold for a couple days, in which case it should all melt once running for long enough being closer to the head.

I'm going to play with it when it's more mild out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Not discouraged, just need to modify.
grin2.gif

Get a heated garage and quit travelling 10,000 km a day.
wink.gif

I don't think that frozen settled water at the bottom of the can affects anything, at least not for a while. In the type of can that Stevie uses the input hose discharges from the top. The PCV flow hits the bottom, then goes up again and gets out of the can through the output hose, also at the top. If the can is emptied before the real cold hits, it will take time to accumulate the amount of frozen water at the bottom to start spitting oil through the output hose. Plus, every time that the engine is started, the ice melts, and the water has a chance to escape as vapor.
Cold temperatures are the only reason the can catches water (brown milkshake-type stuff in the can). When it's warm, only oil of proper color is caught.
As for the purpose of the contraption, manufacturers would be glad to have an ability to separate oil mist from PCV gas flow. Their efforts are limited though by physical dimensions of the component that has to be part of the engine (to be maintenance- free). The condensed stuff has to go back into the sump. The user can't be forced to empty the can on regular basis...
I'm only familiar with 5.3l GM LS valve cover design with integrated separator, and quite a chunky stock PCV separator in 2.5 L Masda Skyactiv-G engine. Both are clear attempts at the problem, optimized for maintenance -free operation, but not highly effective. External catch cans installed after them catch quite a bit of stuff. This doesn't mean that external catch cans are more effective though, there's just no data. But they do help.

One would think it wouldn't be an immediate failure point, true. That's assuming the design and install is such that everything doesn't just get terribly iced up on the worst possible day.

Here's my setup. Just after draining the first (black) can after a cold spell. Quite nothing in the second, transparent can. This survived -22C. Gotta see what's going on on the clean side of CV system yet.

20190202_102634.jpg

20190202_102615.jpg

Thanks for your info, I think if I keep my hose runs shorter and the can in the warmer back half of the engine compartment it might stop freezing on me.
I'm going to play with it when I get some free time and the weather is co-operating.

I don't think you need to modify a thing. It isn't as if the small accumulation of liquid in the bottom 1/5 of the can will obstruct anything when frozen. The can is to be emptied long before full anyway, whether frozen or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back