Catalytic Converter Pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was poking around the web for something and found this pic, thought I would put it up in case anyone is interested...

I give you the "Catalytic Converter"

cat.jpg

It started out as a serious post, then because of another post in the fuel additives section, I posted the second picture there, but had to add it here because it is so funny...

Maybe the MOD's can move this to the Humor section now!

LOL.gif

That's good stuff Stevie! Where's the illustration of the Redneck converter with the pipe pound through the media and the post catalytic 02 sensor left unplugged.
48.gif

For some reason mine don't look like that. I can see straight through them...
27.gif

My cousin has that on his '89 Mustang Cobra so that it looks street legal and so that he can fool the guys he races. It is all done up to look stock, but it's a high 10 - 11 second car on the 1/4 mile.

He makes a bundle in illegal racing against rice-boys and their Civic's etc. who think they can win a stock mustang. He even raced a Vet that was stock, because the guy thought he was all stock. He even has slightly leaking rocker cover gaskets to make it look authentic.
LOL.gif

There is also a hidden bottle of NOS and a trigger button in case he needs a boost against someone at the last minute.

He lets them look under the hood and everything because he tells them that he wants them to know what they are up against and so they have no regrets.
grin2.gif
Not his fault they don't look in the right places where all the performance is hidden. hahaha

He's so bad!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
My cousin has that on his '89 Mustang Cobra so that it looks street legal and so that he can fool the guys he races. It is all done up to look stock, but it's a high 10 - 11 second car on the 1/4 mile.

He makes a bundle in illegal racing against rice-boys and their Civic's etc. who think they can win a stock mustang. He even raced a Vet that was stock, because the guy thought he was all stock. He even has slightly leaking rocker cover gaskets to make it look authentic.
LOL.gif

There is also a hidden bottle of NOS and a trigger button in case he needs a boost against someone at the last minute.

He lets them look under the hood and everything because he tells them that he wants them to know what they are up against and so they have no regrets.
grin2.gif
Not his fault they don't look in the right places where all the performance is hidden. hahaha

He's so bad!

My car was running 10.60s a few years back. The intercooler is so large that the end tanks aren't visible through the grill so it looks like an AC condensor. The catalytic convertor shell is welded around the test pipe. It's almost quiet as stock and has a smooth idle. If they don't pop the hood, I have no problem convincing people it's stock except for exhaust.

I ran into my V8 twin one time. A father and son in a 68 Camaro. I saw him go by, caught him quickly and noticed the single 1" tailpipe out the back. It was completely quiet so I assumed it was a V6 and I was a little disappointed. This guy had the nerve to harass me by lunging forward and letting off. Finally we both started to get on it and punched it at the same time. We were neck and neck for a second or two. I managed to put a couple carlengths on him but I couldn't believe this guy was so fast. He was in equal amazement. Turned out to be a 502/502 crate motor with a 150shot and special attention to a super quiet exhaust that exited somewhere forward of the rear axle and a fake single 1" pipe out the back. He asked if the whistle was a turbo and I said yes but I had to pop the hood to prove that it was a V6.

Originally Posted By: pickled
You have the "high-flow" media that isn't pictured in StevieC's illustration. Some people mistake that type for resonators.

I actually took a pick and hammer to it....

On a serious note, I find Catalytic converters amazing. WHat they realy are are catalytic heaters. THey convert unburned hydrocarbons into heat CO2 and water through a chemical reaction when the level of HCO's and the heat reach a certain level the catalyst reacts. Catalytic heaters....we use the same technology to heat sites with natural gas.. You can buy the same technoloyg to convert propane for a camp heater or for a patio heater. THis reaction occurs below actual ignition temperature but is quite warm so it is not actually a combustion process but rather a chemical reaction. The Catalyst is usually platinum suspended in a media.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
For some reason mine don't look like that. I can see straight through them...
27.gif

Yea, back when the first catalytic converters came out, GM had pellets instead of the honeycomb. They also had a plug on the bottom of the converter that you could unscrew with an 1" (I believe) allen wrench.
I saw a few guys unscrew that plug, drive around for about 10 miles with all the pellets flying out everywhere, and then screwing the plug back in. This was the same era when people would put leaded gas in their unleaded cars to save a couple cents a gallon.
They got rid of leaded gas and the price difference for a reason.

^ you had to punch out the gas filler restrictor. Even though we haven't been able to get retail leaded gas for >15 years the restrictor still needs to be there to pass state inspection.

Old timers: Since you had more diameter in the nozzle, did it used to pump faster?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
^ you had to punch out the gas filler restrictor. Even though we haven't been able to get retail leaded gas for >15 years the restrictor still needs to be there to pass state inspection.

Old timers: Since you had more diameter in the nozzle, did it used to pump faster?

1. In the late 70's, I knew of an entire small town POLICE FORCE that had punched out their gas tanks and ran regular in their unleaded vehicles. They also supervised the gutting of their catalytic converters.
2. The state I live in does not have yearly inspections.
3. I don't remember them pumping any faster than a modern pump.
4. For awhile, you could buy those adapters that slipped over the gas nozzle to put regular into unleaded tanks. Most gas stations had them and would lend them to their good customers.

I find it interesting that this forum doesn't allow cursing or discussion of sex, religion or politics, yet discussing totally illegal things that break federal law is completely acceptable. Another forum I visit is the exact opposite.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I find it interesting that this forum doesn't allow cursing or discussion of sex, religion or politics, yet discussing totally illegal things that break federal law is completely acceptable. Another forum I visit is the exact opposite.

We're not talking about murder here. I'm the only one that mentioned gutting a cat currently. The rest were remembering the old days.

It's a privately owned board that is Free to its users so it's the private owners rules.
grin2.gif

I'm not going to condone what happened, but it did happen. Also remember that regular gas can no longer be purchased for cars and if you gut the catalytic converter on a new car, it will go into closed loop and your car will run so bad you WILL get it replaced. All the things that I mentioned happened about 30 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

I'm not going to condone what happened, but it did happen. Also remember that regular gas can no longer be purchased for cars and if you gut the catalytic converter on a new car, it will go into closed loop and your car will run so bad you WILL get it replaced. All the things that I mentioned happened about 30 years ago.

Actually it makes no difference in how they run. The primary 02 is for closed loop. Secondaries are to check convertor efficiency and will throw a check engine light. The one I did on my TL was the 3rd cat which has no post cat 02. Didn't make a bit of difference in performance or mileage. I wish I would've left it. The precats bolted to the heads, however, make 30hp at the wheels when you remove them.

Why is the O2 sensor plug on the engine side? Most of the primary O2 sensors are plugged right in the exhaust manifold and most of the secondary O2 sensors are post catalytic converter.

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back