Catalytic Converter damage from using Mobil 1 0w40 Euro oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SAPS limits as enforced by the API (which are really just Phos/Zinc limits) don't apply to xW-40's, that's why M1 FS 0w-40 can be SN.

With Euro-geared lubes, which actually do have formal tiers for SAPS (Low/Mid/Full) Mobil 1 ESP 0w-40 (also: Corvette) is low SAPS (hence the ESP designation).

If we are looking at non-Euro lubes, the SRT 0w-40 is your typical SN/SP Energy Conserving additive package in a 0w-40 format.

M1 High Mileage 10w-40 has 800ppm of Phosphorus, 900ppm of Zinc, which is higher than most of the Mobil 0w-xx oils. M1 FS 0w-40 has 1000ppm, 1100ppm while the low SAPS ESP oil is 900/990. The ESP (low SAPS) 0w-20 is 880/950 while EP and AP 0w-20 are 650/750.

10w-40's don't have any real formal approvals, so the bar isn't all that high for performance in service, quite unlike the case for the Euro 0w-40's, which have to meet extremely demanding performance requirements from the myriad of OEM's the product carries the approvals for.
That's true. and that's why i was saying a 10w-40 typically won't be found in such a stout formulation as with the 0/5w's. 10w-40's typically fall lower on the averages of formulation additives and finding a lower saps 40 weight is easier when looking at 10w's since they're the obsolete grade and don't carry strict approvals which usually also carry more stout formulations. I do know of the esp oils but they're more expensive and harder to find especially in the thicker grades.

The blender just isn't inclined to go out of their way to invest more to scrape the formulation limits on a 10w-40 since they'd rather do that on a euro 0/5w-40. The modern tests require that level of cold flow anyway and would be hard or impossible to meet with a 10w-40. That's why i don't think 10w-40 rated bmw ll-01 oils are a thing yet they can carry the acea a3/b4 rating anyway which is good enough for me.

Valvoline hm 10w-40 is 850 zn and 770 phos so it's lower on the scale but still suitable for protecting considering that old ford was spec'd to run a 30 grade and M1 0w-40 fs is kind of overkill for it. No pun intended.

That's true. and that's why i was saying a 10w-40 typically won't be found in such a stout formulation as with the 0/5w's. 10w-40's typically fall lower on the averages of formulation additives and finding a lower saps 40 weight is easier when looking at 10w's since they're the obsolete grade and don't carry strict approvals which usually also carry more stout formulations. I do know of the esp oils but they're more expensive and harder to find especially in the thicker grades.

The blender just isn't inclined to go out of their way to invest more to scrape the formulation limits on a 10w-40 since they'd rather do that on a euro 0/5w-40. The modern tests require that level of cold flow anyway and would be hard or impossible to meet with a 10w-40. That's why i don't think 10w-40 rated bmw ll-01 oils are a thing yet they can carry the acea a3/b4 rating anyway which is good enough for me.

Valvoline hm 10w-40 is 850 zn and 770 phos so it's lower on the scale but still suitable for protecting considering that old ford was spec'd to run a 30 grade and M1 0w-40 fs is kind of overkill for it. No pun intended.
The ESP oils are becoming more and more common though ;)

But yes, the 10w-40's are your "typical" SN/GF5 additive package tossed in a slightly heavier combo I would assume for the most part, particularly in North America.

You mean they put every car up on a lift to check?
They either use a lift or one of these:

Our Explorer has 214,000 miles on the original 4.0 SOHC V6. We are the original owners and it is still running the original cats.

1. The state or fact of occupying the same relative position or area in space.
  2. A sequence of events that although accidental seems to have been planned or arranged.
  3. The fact of being coincident, or of occupying the same place in space or the same position in a scale or series; exact correspondence in position: as, the coincidence of equal triangles. = Coincidence
You have a high mileage relic. Do you have a rich tune? Do you have a leaking injector? Smit happens to old stuff.

You can kill a cat while burning oil at a fairly low rate-the ‘18 Transit 250 3.7 company van that I turned in recently burned a quart every 3500-4000 (from brand new), always getting 5W20 synthetic blend, and it lost a cat at 110K. Never saw high SAPS in it’s life!

It's a 99' dude, I wouldn't worry though not sure what you are trying to accomplish using M1 0W-40. In any case your Cat is more likely to fail from historic oil burning than whatever weight and type you put in. I think thieves are probably a much bigger threat to your Cat that most any oil...

I replaced the cat on my MIL's car at just 85k miles. The honeycomb broke, wadded up, and blocked it. The overwhelming majority of cat failures have nothing to do with the oil, contrary to how some on here make it sound.

My BMW X5 Diesel calls for .6% low saps oil and a 5w-30 weight. Almost every other diesel on the market requires a .8% low saps oil with similar emissions equipment. I burn some of the 5w-30 during a 7500 mile oci. I’m using Mobil delvac 5w-40 esp now with .8% and I burn no oil. Even though it’s a higher saps oil it’s not getting into the cat whereas the 5w-30 lower saps oil was. I contemplated using Mobil 0w-40 FS as it’s a top oil with some of the best base stocks on the market but it’s 1.0% ash was almost double the .6% specification. I was testing the 5w-40 to see if I had consumed any which I did not. If I knew I wouldn’t consume the 0w-40 FS I’d try that to. Point is doesn’t matter if your not consuming any.

The Explorer actually doesn't burn any oil, so I don't think I am pushing any through the cats. My question was originally focused on the M1 0W40 Euro hurting cats in general, not so much on my old Explorer. Actually one of the cats on the explorer needs to be replaced because the pipe is starting to rust.
And I gather some are saying the Mobil 1 0w40 Euro is "too good" of an oil for the Explorer? I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back