Catalytic Converter damage from using Mobil 1 0w40 Euro oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
I have a quick question about Mobil 1 0w40 Euro oil. Around here that oil is looked upon as magic in a bottle, however some people have noted that it can "kill" the cats on cars/trucks. Is there any truth/evidence to note cat damage from the 0w40 Euro oil? I am currently the 0w40 in my 1999 Explorer.

Thank you

“Sulfated ash” is created when ASTM D874 is performed. The test uses a sulfuric acid reaction to ascertain the amount of metal containing compounds in the oil.

Hi everyone,
I have a quick question about Mobil 1 0w40 Euro oil. Around here that oil is looked upon as magic in a bottle, however some people have noted that it can "kill" the cats on cars/trucks. Is there any truth/evidence to note cat damage from the 0w40 Euro oil? I am currently the 0w40 in my 1999 Explorer.

Thank you
That is absolute hog wash, 1100 ppm zinc is not killing any cat that is in working condition, prior oil generations had much more than that and didnt kill the cats since 1982 or so, lead in the fuel was the issue in those days.
Lots of other conditions can damage cats but because some guy just changed his oil and used M1 0w40 and got a P420 shortly after and declares that was the cause then goes on the internet to voice his warning.

“Sulfated ash” is created when ASTM D874 is performed. The test uses a sulfuric acid reaction to ascertain the amount of metal containing compounds in the oil.
Now I have learned something. So if an oil is catalyst friendly meaning it has a lower SA level, is that because there would be less residual metallic compounds that could poison the cat?

Have a 2014 Armada that has always had a high ZDDP oil since new, either M1 Euro 0-40 or RP HPS 5-30. It has 100K on it with no issues.

Now I have learned something. So if an oil is catalyst friendly meaning it has a lower SA level, is that because there would be less residual metallic compounds that could poison the cat?
As you noted it is the phosphorus that poisons the catalyst. But it has to get there in the first place, so unless you’re burning a fairly large amount of oil it’s not going to cause irreversible damage. Some (many?) automakers said that one quart per 1000 miles is normal so I’ve always guessed that it takes a fair bit more than that to cause an issue.

The metallic additive compounds result in ash which is a problem with GDI engines. These are oxides not sulfates.

The metallic ash in motor oil has only become an issue since the vehicle manufacturers have been mandated to warrant the emissions equipment on vehicles for extended periods of time. This mandate comes from the government. To help with the mandate, the vehicle manufacturers have reached out to the oil producers and requested that the formulations be changed to accommodate the mandates.

Unless an engine is a heavy consumer of oil, the metallic ash in the oil is not an issue. To answer the original question - NO, Mobil-1 0W40 is not poisoning catalytic converters at any measurable rate.

Hi everyone,

Thank you
With regards to M1 0w40. This potential is NOT applicable to US vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back