Cat diesel in a pickup ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if this has ever been attempted by any of the major American heavy duty pickup makers? I would think that a yellow motor and the 'Cat' badge on the fender would be a great sales tool. The Cummins name seems to have worked for Dodge.

That is what the GMC TopKick is. It's a Silverado cab with a baby transport hood stuck to the front of it. The engine is a CAT and it's roughly a 5 ton depending on how you order it.

One of those engines would never fit in a pickup unless you went with the engine in the back with front wheel drive.
gr_stretch.gif

You would probably have a better chance squeezing it into a van as it would have more room for a tall engine. You could probably find a detroit school bus engine and transmission for a swap. The International/Navistar engines are also in school buses.

Steve

^ Saw a dodge ramcharger fullsize SUV where the guy claimed he shoehorned in a schoolbus diesel motor & trans. Forget which engine make though.

Yea, I realize Cat probably doesn't currently make an engine that would fit in a pickup, the smallest Cat I'm aware of is the C-7 that just replaced the 3126. That may be the deal, pickup makers went with already available designs like the Navistar in Ford and Cummins in Dodge. Still, I bet a Cat powered pickup would sell like hotcakes.

About 20 years ago my cousin put a small v8 cat in a ford f 350 pickup ,it was loud "engine noise" .Cat has a name . It will be good for those who need a name to show off.

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
Yea, I realize Cat probably doesn't currently make an engine that would fit in a pickup, the smallest Cat I'm aware of is the C-7 that just replaced the 3126. That may be the deal, pickup makers went with already available designs like the Navistar in Ford and Cummins in Dodge. Still, I bet a Cat powered pickup would sell like hotcakes.

the C7 isn't all that much bigger than a Cummins 5.9. IMHO, the reason you haven't seen a Caterpillar in a LD truck is simply the raw power of the engines. even the lowest output C7 is 190HP/520TQ.. the hipo version is 330HP/860
shocked.gif
Tq. I think it would simply destroy a LD truck, esp when companies like bully dog start putting out products for them.

I drove a '04 C6500 box truck w/ a C7 from KY to ME last summer. I averaged 8-9MPG fully loaded AND towing 5,000lbs. I was VERY impressed.

-Bret

if I could get ahold of one I'd stuff one into my '88 chevy K2500 in a second.

A problem with mating a high torque diesel with a pick-up chassis is that there may be no suitable transmissions available in the parts bin that will perform well and physically fit in the available space.

I have a 2003 GMC Duramax K2500. The only GM manufactured automatic that will handle the torque is the Allison. This set up cannot be installed in a 2500 Suburban because the transmission won't fit the available space.

I think you can get a ford f-450 or f-550 with a cat diesel. I knew a guy in high school with a mid 80's chevy duelie with a swapped in cat engine and transmission.

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
I think you can get a ford f-450 or f-550 with a cat diesel. I knew a guy in high school with a mid 80's chevy duelie with a swapped in cat engine and transmission.

you can get a Cat C7 in a GM C4500. I'd love to have a C4500 4x4 w/ a C7 and combo utility body flatbed for a work vehicle. as far as the Fords, you can only get the Int'l Vt366 ( aka 6.0l powerstroke) in the 450's and 550's. you can get a caterpillar in the 650's and 750'5.

-Bret

I stand corrected! I was thinking of the 650 and 750 when i said 450 and 550. that would sure make a heck of a pickup
I really do wish that one of the big 3 would have the gonads to offer a cat diesel in a 3/4 - 1 ton truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back